Search Unity

Build share links are permanent?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Novack, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Novack

Novack

When a build is done, are the download links permanent? And the sharing links?

I think I remember that links for the builds are temporary, but I cant find info on the docs regarding this. Anyone can confirm?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  2. victorw

victorw

Share links are permanent until revoked. I'll log a story to add a mechanism for revoking all org/project share links in a single operation.

Novack likes this.
  3. victorw

victorw

As a side note I would generally recommend the Build API documentation if you're looking for answers to technical questions like this, since those are updated directly by our developers and intended for power users. It doesn't mention anything in this specific case but in general there's a lot of useful information in there.

Novack likes this.
  4. Novack

Novack

Thanks a ton for the info. I was looking for that page, but could not find it.

5. Novack

Novack

Btw, share and standard download links have the same behaviour?

6. victorw

victorw

Similar behaviour - the share link is effectively just an alias for the regular download link. The difference is that the regular download link requires authentication. In both cases it's redirecting to a storage bucket with the credentials dynamically generated on the spot. This means that if you somehow acquired a link to the regular download it would not be useful for an outside user, you need to have access granted either the normal way or via a share link.

But yes the regular downloads are also persistent forever. I've been thinking about adding an expiry to that but there are definitely users who want to be able to download e.g. a one year old build so it's hard to know what a sensible expiry would be. Cloud storage is also very cheap so it's hard for me to justify adding a feature like that which would be a double edged sword for users.

Novack likes this.
  7. Novack

Novack

Excellent info Victor, much appreaciated.

Indeed, permanent links help us a ton. Im tweaking our CD pipeline, and was very important to confirm those links dont have an unknown due date that would break certain manual parts of the workflow.

Also agree, having an option to revoke old links would be useful.

Thanks again!

8. bpj_mdt

bpj_mdt

Hi @victorw - I was curious if this has been changed? My download links now take me to an xml view that tells me they've expired, even though I set the share link expiration date to be a year long. Is the download link's expiration date different than the share link's?