Search Unity

Build Settings Bug

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Xeonicis, May 15, 2019.

1. Xeonicis

Xeonicis

Hello, I've been trying to find a fix to this but I can't find any so hopefully someone can help me.

The bug seems to be with the Build Button in Build Settings. When i click it, it should open the window to allow me to save a .exe of my game however, this is what I get:

upload_2019-5-15_14-35-33.png

If anyone has had a similar issue and knows how to fix this, please let me know.

Attached Files:

2. Siegewolf

Siegewolf

As of Unity 2018, you can't anymore type the name of the *.exe file when you are building for Windows, instead you only chose the folder and the *.exe name will be based on your product name in player settings. Kinda annoying...

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

This ^^^

If I remember correctly, this change was a followup to backlash from the change in 2017.2 where unityplayer.dll was split out from the build exe file and placed in the same folder, instead of the data folder. This broke the build process many people were using where you create a new build with a different name in the same folder as all your other builds. The exe and the data directory name would not overwrite other builds, because they were different filenames, but the unityplayer.dll would be overwritten, potentially breaking previous builds.

So to fix that you now name a folder instead of the exe so everything is separate from your other builds in the same folder.