Search Unity

Build Report with legacy sprite packing shows atlas and asset

Discussion in '2D' started by justdizzy, Nov 13, 2018.

1. justdizzy

justdizzy

My 2D project has a bunch of large textures, so I set the "Packing Tag"s to generate sprite atlases (set to "Alway Enabled (legacy Sprite Packer)"). Now when I build, the Build Report's section "Used Assets and files from the Resources folder, sorted by uncompressed size:" has entries for both the textures themselves as well as the sprite atlas.

For example, the 5 textures are directly listed (all having the packing tag "Character_Gerry"), then there is the generated sprite atlas (packed tight, no rotation).

11.1 mb 0.7% Assets/Imports/Characters/Gerry/textures/model_textures/Gerry_hand_L_open_flat_up.png
    11.1 mb 0.7% Assets/Imports/Characters/Gerry/textures/model_textures/Gerry_hand_L_point_up.png
    11.1 mb 0.7% Assets/Imports/Characters/Gerry/textures/model_textures/Gerry_hand_L_open_up.png
    11.1 mb 0.7% Assets/Imports/Characters/Gerry/textures/model_textures/Gerry_hand_L_fold_down.png
    11.1 mb 0.7% Assets/Imports/Characters/Gerry/textures/model_textures/Gerry_hand_tween_L.png
    4.0 mb 0.3% Built-in Texture2D: SpriteAtlasTexture-Character_Gerry-2048x2048-fmt33

These textures are applied to the quad of skinned mesh renders, and have a fair amount of transparent space, so it's not unfathomable that the atlas is smaller.

Is this normal, showing both the texture and atlas? If so, does that mean when it's using one of these textures, it's loading 15.1 mb of memory, being the atlas and the texture out of the atlas?

If it's not normal, which should be showing in the list, only the textures or the atlas? What are some likely mistakes I might have made in my setup for this to happen?

On a side note, at one point I switched to the using the new Sprite Atlases, but switched back because they were actually using more MBs.