Search Unity

Build Report Tool - Track files in your project that need slimming down!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AnomalusUndrdog, Apr 14, 2013.

?

How much would you be willing to pay for this?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2015.
  1. $2

23.5%
  2. $5

50.0%
  3. $10

26.5%
  1. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Okay thanks. I'm 100% sure I'm changing it so it must be a bug with the plugin.

Thanks

mimminito likes this.
  2. mimminito

mimminito

Ive tried this as well. Changed the import settings of a group of textures and when hitting the button nothing was updated (unless its concluding nothing has changed...)

nxtboyIII likes this.
  3. angelotokyo

angelotokyo

Hello I would like to buy your asset , but i would like to know if it will work with unity 5.3.1f1 ?

Thanks You !

4. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Ok, perhaps we have a misunderstanding. The updating only works on the Unused Assets List (assets that were not included in the build). I tried it out with a texture, setting it from Compressed to Truecolor and it worked fine.

It will not update the imported sizes in the Used Assets List because the report indicates the imported sizes that went into the build. You'd have to do a new build for any size change to reflect in the report. I admit there's no sense for the update button to be there in the Used Assets List, I will fix that soon.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    mimminito likes this.
  5. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Yes, with the version that's available in the Asset Store right now, there will be a few warnings reported when Build Report Tool is used in Unity 5.3, but they can be safely ignored.

I have a new version coming up that fixes all warnings (and errors) for Unity 5.3 and the latest 5.4 beta. It should take 1 to 2 weeks to go live.

If you decide to buy now I can email you the new version immediately if you like. You'll just need to PM or email me the invoice number of your purchase for verification.

EDIT: The new version (3.0.19) is now live.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  6. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

I got my report for android apk build. On top there is 'Other assets" and "Levels" which says 100mb and 50mb, and there are textures, meshes, etc.. What are these "Other Assets" and "Levels"?

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  7. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

Go to the "Used Assets" tab. Look to the left-hand side. There is a Filter. Here you can set the filter to thing *other* than textures, models, materials, etc. Those are all your "Other Assets".

8. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Thank you, I think I need to investigate things deeply. Build report "Total Build SIze" says 114 mb, however I went every single assets in "Used Assets" with filter and all, calculated around 70 mb. So there is 50 mb comes somewhere which is not in report, or I go crazy :ddd.

However I use terrain composer, before terrrain composer my game was 25 mb in Android buils, after 3x3 terrains with terrain composer it jumped to 120 mb in apk size

9. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

@MoribitoMT

Set the filter to All, and then on the right click Select All. Then look in the lower left of the tab/window. What does it say? It will be something like Selected: 549 Total size: 28.38 MB.

10. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

I did what you say
    it says total 1014 files, and 64 mb
    However apk still 120 mb

But I managed to find the problems, it is the terrain's heightmaps.
    When I have 3x3 plain terrain ( No heightmaps, mountains, etc.. ) created with Terrain Composer, the apk is about 40 mb
    If I create heightmaps, canyons, mountaions, etc.. apk jumps to 120 mb.

Build report tool can detect base terrains size, however it cannot detect the all the heightmaps, build on terrains.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  11. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Sorry for the late reply. Some of that size is because of the build's .exe file (if you are building for Windows), the mono runtime files, and other assets like Standard assets (if any of your objects use the default white material, or if any of your scenes/prefabs use the default cube or sphere, for example), plus whatever OS-specific files your build needs to run properly.

"Levels" is the size of your Unity .scene files. "Other Assets" are things like text data files and ScriptableObject asset files that your project uses.

12. justtime

justtime

When will be released version for 5.4 ?

13. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Build Report Tool has been compatible for Unity 5.4 for a long time now. I've always made sure to make it work since the 5.4 beta releases. If you decide to buy it, and there are bugs when used in 5.4, let me know.

14. Skaia

Skaia

Hi,

Is it possible to do a search/filter by name in the list of Used/Unused assets?

15. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Right now, no, but that's a good idea. I'll add it to the list of things to add.

16. sevensails

sevensails

I just bought it! But, It's not working on Unity 5.5. Is there a fix on the way?

17. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Alright, noted. I'll work on making a fix right away!

18. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

@Skaia @sevensails: I've sent a new version to the Asset Store that fixes compatibility with Unity 5.5.0f2. I've also added a search textfield for the Used/Unused Asset lists. If nothing goes wrong it'll probably go live in about 7 days from now.

19. arlefreak

arlefreak

I get the following error

Assets/BuildReport/Scripts/Editor/ReportGeneration/BRT_UnityBuildSettingsUtility.cs(604,55): error CS0117: `UnityEditor.EditorUserBuildSettings' does not contain a definition for `xboxRunMethod'

On Unity 5.5.0f3, tried to donwload the new version from the Assets Store but got the same error, any way to fix this?

20. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Hi, my apologies. The one out isn't the new version yet (the new one will be v3.1). Sorry, my bad. I've resent the version update to the Asset Store.

EDIT: Actually, if anyone needs the new version urgently, just pm me your invoice number and an email address and I'll send version 3.1 as a unitypackage file via email.

EDIT 2: Either that or simply delete/comment out any syntax errors. Those are old project settings that don't exist anymore in Unity 5.5 so it won't impact your further use of the plugin.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  21. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Version 3.1 has been released and fixes Unity 5.5 compatibility. Also added is search for the used and unused assets list.

Apologies for the delays, everyone. As always, don't hesitate to message me if there are any bugs.

22. gecko

gecko

Just got the latest version to use in a project in 5.4, but I get a compiler error when building:

Assets/BuildReport/Scripts/Editor/ReportGeneration/BRT_ReportGenerator.cs(873,65): error CS0117: `Path' does not contain a definition for `GetFileName'

I didn't have BuildReport in the project before. I restarted Unity, same error. What to do?

23. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

It's likely you have your own class named Path, or perhaps in one of the plugins you use (if any). But there's also a system class called Path. So the compiler isn't sure which one you're referring to.

You'll just need to insert "System.IO." just before Path. So the code would look like "System.IO.Path.GetFileName"

I'll edit it also to prevent this error in future releases.

24. mespino

mespino

Hello @AnomalusUndrdog,

I have been trying Build Report tool for a while and it is a great tool!.

But I have a problem. I have seen that the options are stored in EditorPref.

This is a problem, because I can not save the settings and upload to the repository. I have to configure the settings again in the other computer. Is there some workarround to fix this?

Regards

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public static bool CollectBuildInfo
    2.     {
    3.         get
    4.         {
    5.             return EditorPrefs.GetBool("BRT_CollectBuildInfo", true);
    6.         }
    7.         set
    8.         {
    9.             EditorPrefs.SetBool("BRT_CollectBuildInfo", value);
    10.         }
    11.     }

Attached Files:

25. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I can certainly change this by saving the settings to a text file instead, in JSON format. My question is though, where do you prefer this file saved? Do you want it inside the Assets folder, outside in the ProjectSettings folder? Or somewhere else?

mespino likes this.
  26. mespino

mespino

I do not mind in a Json, txt or even a scriptable object.

Where to save it is a very good question. I would prefer inside the Build Report folder. In this manner, everything about build report is together.

I have the tools in a git submodule, if the json is saved outside the build report path, the submodule affects outside the submodule itself, what I think it is a bad practise.

Having said that, I have to admit that I have not a very clear opinion about this.

Thank you very much!

27. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Alright, I think I'll do it this way:

It'll look for the settings file from different sources, prioritized in order:

1. inside the BuildReport folder
    2. at the very topmost Assets folder
    3. outside the Assets folder
    4. in the ProjectSettings folder
    5. in the User's My Documents folder

If the settings file is found in one, it won't bother looking for it elsewhere. If it's not found in any of these, it'll create a new one inside the BuildReport folder.

You're free to move the settings file anywhere in the mentioned folders above.

28. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

@mespino Ok, I just realized, since I'm targeting Unity 5.0 as the minimum required version to run Build Report Tool, I can't use the JsonUtility in Unity since that doesn't exist yet in 5.0. I'll just encode it to XML like I do with the saved Build Reports.

29. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

@mespino I've modified BuildReportTool to save and load an options file named BuildReportToolOptions.xml. As mentioned, this file can be placed in any of the recognized paths.

1. inside the BuildReport folder
    2. at the very topmost Assets folder
    3. outside the Assets folder
    4. in the ProjectSettings folder
    5. in the User's My Documents folder

I'll submit this to the Asset Store soon. If all goes well, it'll come up after 1 or 2 weeks.

EDIT: The version 3.2 update has been approved and is now live in the Asset Store!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    mespino likes this.
  30. mespino

mespino

@AnomalusUndrdog I think it is the right approach.

Incredible support, congrats!

Regards.

31. AndresSepulveda

AndresSepulveda

Hi
    I just bought your asset and cant get it work. When i Import it I get an error

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  32. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Hi, what version of Unity are you using?

33. AndresSepulveda

AndresSepulveda

34. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Last time I made sure it was compatible with 5.6.0b4, but I notice there's now a 5.6.0b9 so I'll download that and see what I can do to make sure it works there.

35. AndresSepulveda

AndresSepulveda

well I was using b8. I am going to try b9 as well.

thanks

36. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I received a reply from a Unity Technologies developer from the forum thread I made here. So, it's a bug in the beta, and hopefully, they'll fix it before 5.6 gets a final release. I suggest not using the 5.6 beta for now, or perhaps use 5.6.0b4 instead if it's still available.

37. AndresSepulveda

AndresSepulveda

no option to wait then....

38. AGregori

AGregori

Hi, I'm yet to buy this tool: is it fully compatible with 5.5.2?

39. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I'll download 5.5.2 and check. I'll update you on this.

AGregori likes this.
  40. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

@Gregorik Ok, I get an occasional "Fatal error in gc, too many threads" error, then the Unity Editor closes. It happens with 5.5.0 and upwards (which means 5.5.2 included). It doesn't happen in 5.4.

I narrowed down the bug, and it seems connected to when Build Report Tool loads files from a separate thread. So I've disabled it. I checked, and when I removed the threaded loading, Build Report Tool works fine again in 5.5.2. I'll just add an option for users to re-enable threaded loading for those using Unity 5.4 and below.

I just happen to do this to prevent lagging the Unity editor while a Build Report file is being loaded and processed (this is for saved build reports of projects that are rather large, the build report file alone can get to megabytes in size because of it listing so many assets).

--------

More about the bug, the messages in the Editor log say this:

Which sounds like it has nothing to do with Build Report Tool.

What's strange is that Build Report Tool is purely C# scripts, which should not have the capability to crash the whole Unity Editor (compared to perhaps, a C++ plugin). And the bug also happens even when Unity is just recompiling my C# scripts.

I guess I'll submit a bug report to Unity about this.

41. AGregori

AGregori

@AnomalusUndrdog,
    thank you, I actually get the "too many threads" error quite a few times in 5.5.2 when importing, it's a nasty one.

I can't revert to the 5.4 line, will buy this cool asset when it's sorted out. ;) Cheers!

42. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

It's really odd, I'm trying to create a project that tries to recreate that error reliably (to submit with the bug report) and I can't seem to pinpoint a specific cause. Seems like there's something else that needs to happen for the bug to occur.

Nevertheless, I've added a new option to disable threaded loading for Build Report Tool.

I've submitted a version update to the Asset Store, it should take 1 to 2 weeks to go live.

UPDATE: Version 3.2.1 is now available, which adds the mentioned option for enabling/disabling threaded file loading.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  43. sergi-gil

sergi-gil

Hi!

We are testing Unity 5.5.1p4 and we found that now, build report doesn't calculate correctly the size of some assets ? for example textures?

In unity 5.3.5p6 is working fine, but changing to this version it seems that the information is not correct... do you know what can be happening?

thanks

44. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Hi, I'll look into that soon when I get the time. I'll download those versions of Unity to test.

By the way, do you mean the size of assets in the used assets list or unused assets list?

Also, if you can send me the saved build report XML files of the two and/or screenshots, that will be helpful.

45. XSUnity

XSUnity

46. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

47. Mas3dStudio

Mas3dStudio

Hello.
    is the latest version compatible with Unity version 5.6? Please reply ASAP.
    Regards

48. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Yes, it works. I tested in Unity 5.6.0f3. If you buy it, let me know if you have problems.

AGregori likes this.
  49. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Hi, I just bought this package and the Build Report window gets stuck at "Getting build sizes..." after a build. Also, nothing is generated in ~/UnityBuildReports, it is just the FileFiltersUsed.xml file in there. This is with a completely clean project with only BuildReport imported.

I've tried creating a desktop and Android build, and this occurs for both.

I'm on a Mac (OSX 10.11.16 El Capitan) and on Unity 5.6.0p2. Also, when I import the package from the Asset Store, it requires an API update for the scripts, so maybe the scripts have not been updated for Unity 5.6?

Thanks!

50. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Hi, thanks for the message. I'll look into this. It works ok in Unity 5.6.0f3 on my Windows machine, but I'll try downloading Unity 5.6.0p2 and check there.

It prompts for an upgrade because I deploy the unitypackage using Unity 5.0.4, it's the minimum version I support.

Does the game build properly at least? Try sending me the Editor.log file after it exhibits the bug, so I can check it out. Just do a build as usual, so the Editor.log file will have the build data inside, then send that file. If you close and re-open Unity, the editor.log file will be cleared, so don't do that yet.

The Editor.log file should be in your ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Editor.log (See manual page: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html)