Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Build Report Tool - Track files in your project that need slimming down!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AnomalusUndrdog, Apr 14, 2013.

?

How much would you be willing to pay for this?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2015.
  1. $2

23.5%
  2. $5

50.0%
  3. $10

26.5%
  1. Meceka

Meceka

I also wish to have this feature. I had an editor script in the past for tracking that but it was rather unreliable.

Use case: Switched to android and felt like build takes longer. Checked build logs to see that its longer for every build in the past 7 days. something I have done in this time may have caused that.

2. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

@Johannski, @Meceka: Noted, I'll add it to my todo list.

I'm currently working on adding a requested feature (showing poly count of meshes), but admittedly my progress has been slow since I'm also working on a game project right now that's planned to release on Steam Early Access soon, so it's been hectic.

3. Johannski

Johannski

Thanks, looking forward to it! And good luck with hitting your deadline :)

4. NathanielAH

NathanielAH

@AnomalusUndrdog , in case you weren't aware, getting the below warnings in Unity 2019.4.1f1.

• Assets\BuildReport\Scripts\Editor\Utility\BRT_Util.cs(140,10): warning CS0618: 'BuildTarget.StandaloneLinux' is obsolete: 'StandaloneLinux has been removed in 2019.2'

• Assets\BuildReport\Scripts\Editor\Utility\BRT_Util.cs(146,10): warning CS0618: 'BuildTarget.StandaloneLinuxUniversal' is obsolete: 'StandaloneLinuxUniversal has been removed in 2019.2'

• Assets\BuildReport\Scripts\Editor\ReportGeneration\BRT_UnityBuildSettingsUtility.cs(396,42): warning CS0618: 'PlayerSettings.virtualRealitySupported' is obsolete: 'This API is obsolete, and should no longer be used. Please use XRManagerSettings in the XR Management package instead.'
    Just wanted to share. Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Sincerely,
    Nathaniel

AnomalusUndrdog likes this.
  5. hkdev_unity

hkdev_unity

Does this work with previous saved editor.logs? I tend to save them and look them over and compare to recent reports. Your tool seems really useful, I'd love to be able to feed it different editor.logs since that's what it's processing through anyway. Is that possible or does it work with just the one's in the unity directory?

6. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Yes, although the process isn't exactly one click: you can set an "Override Log" in the Options, then press the Get Log button as usual. I created this functionality more of as a debugging aid for Build Report Tool itself, but you can indeed use it that way.

As long as the editor.log file you give it was made from the same project that's currently open, it will work as expected.

hkdev_unity likes this.
  7. Racsoth

Racsoth

Hi! Thanks for making this. I have an inquiry:

I see that the tool shows a "size in build" for each used asset. I'd like to double-check: is that value the *compressed* (or *packed*) size of the asset?

I'm asking you because historically, the Editor.log file has shown the *uncompressed* sizes of the assets, which is basically how much RAM do those assets use, not how much disk space do they use.

Thanks again!

8. Racsoth

Racsoth

One more thing: it would be VERY useful to ignore certain file types or folders in the reports. The report includes third party assets that you probably won't want to touch. It even includes Build Report tool itself!

EDIT: I'm specifically talking about the "Unused assets" part of the report, but the comment probably applies to the whole report.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
unityunity