Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Build problems on device but editor is fine

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by QIXE, Oct 18, 2019.

1. QIXE

QIXE

I've been developing my project without any issues throughout this year, deploying iterative builds successfully on both iOS and Android. Recently, my builds have not been working on both platforms but developing in the editor is fine. At this stage, I feel that the issue is linked to upgrading my Unity editor but I can't be sure. (I'm using Unity 2019.2.9f1)

I found an error in the device logs stating a file related to masking wasn't present. The mask error was fished out of logcat on Android and appeared to point to Unity internal resources, not specific to my project.

While testing on iOS, I removed the item from my scene that had a sprite mask component and found a new problem. It displayed a message that a shader 'mobile/particles/alpha blended' wasn't supported. I haven't changed much in my project recently as it's almost finished & Unity 2019.1.14f1 worked fine.

I changed the material for the offending object to use 'Sprites/Default' and now I get a different error:

Metal: Error creating pipeline state (Hidden/Internal-GUITexture): depthAttachmentPixelFormat is not valid and shader writes to depth

I've checked my source control logs to verify I haven't changed anything related to these errors. My recent updates are just animation values to polish things off. The only thing that stands out is the Unity version changes.

Now, I could theoretically avoid these issues by downgrading my Unity version but Unity crashes when I attempt this - so I'm fairly stuck.

Is this a bug? If so, I would have expected to find similar conversations but it seems I'm on my own with this one. Any advice?

Jean-Pif likes this.
  2. eainsworth

eainsworth

I am having very similar problems since upgrading different components on my Mac. I wasn't sure if it was the OS upgrade to Catalina, iPhone upgrade to 13.1.x, Xcode upgrade, or Unity Upgrade. I receive the following errors:

Metal: Error creating pipeline state (Hidden/Internal-GUITextture): output of type half4 is not compatible with a MTLPixelFormatInvalid color attachment.
    Metal: Error creating pipeline state (Sprites/Default): Compiler encountered an internal error
    Metal: Error creating pipeline state (UI/Default): Compiler encountered an internal error

There are followed by XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INTERRUPTED. Any insights on fixing this will be appreciated, I'm stuck.

3. shenmirage

shenmirage

I've encountered similar issues after upgrading my project to 2019.2.9f1

Metal: Error creating pipeline state (Sprites/Default): output of type half4 is not compatible with a MTLPixelFormatInvalid color attachement.

4. GiyomuGames

GiyomuGames

Have you tried 2019.2.10f1? Did it solve this issue?

5. shenmirage

shenmirage

No.

6. edwin_unity187

edwin_unity187

Same issues here, I'm using 2019.2.12f1.

adamstone711 likes this.
  7. xscodermail

xscodermail

Same problem here, with Unity 2019.2.12f, and I get my iOS device's screen all purple, with that message in the console :(
    Metal: Error creating pipeline state (Hidden/Internal-GUITexture): output of type half4 is not compatible with a MTLPixelFormat Invalid color attachment.

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Please submit a bug report.

Also sidenote: For platforms like mobile I would suggest you stay on LTS if you don't want to be dealing with issues like this all the time.

9. nabetaka7

nabetaka7

I had same problem with Unity 2019.2.12f and 2019.2.15f.
    but 2019.2.1f works correctly.