Search Unity

"Build it yourself" Modular Medieval Houses.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogzerx2, Mar 31, 2015.

1. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Is there an easy way to fit the pieces together? Like, if I turn on the Unity grid will all pieces snap to a certain unit and fit together correctly, or do you have to manually line up every piece without snapping?

dogzerx2 likes this.
  2. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

That's actually not a bad idea, wish I thought of that before making all the pieces. :-/
    For these set of pieces the size is arbitrary, so you can only place the pieces by hand.

I think it'd be a good idea to make a video of making a building from scratch, to give a better sense how difficult it would be to put one house together.

3. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Here's a webplayer and a standalone project. The project will be submitted today.

Size is about 50 MB rar for the standalone, and 30 MB for the Webplayer.

Sorry I haven't upload to WebGL yet, I had some issues with the performance, also the size is much bigger, around 200 MB, and it's kind of hard to test it, because my upload speed is very slow, and then I have to download it again, it's the only way to test it, and I got some weird slowdowns and other problems. So for the time being you can test it in Webplayer in Firefox, or download the standalone. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Webplayer (use Firefox or other browser than Chrome):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11214337/MedievalHousesWebPlayer/MedievalHousesWebPlayer.html

Standalone:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11214337/MedievalHouses/MedievalHouses.rar

4. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

The asset has been submitted.

In the meantime I've made a video of the building process of this house:

The house took 30 minutes to make. Starting a house from scratch takes the longest, although I assume if making a big town, you can reuse the house and modify, with not so much effort.

Here's the link of the video:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Xoduz likes this.
  5. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Bought :)

Cant wait to start the constructions :), thanks again for the amazing art provided to the store

7. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Cool! Let me know if you need anything!
    dogzerx@gmail.com

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks

I test with InfiniTREE and can readilly make around 70 homes without a big hit and that along 70 very expensive dynamic trees. My PC is medium to low range, with a rather old dual core CPU (Core 2 Duo E7500 @2.8Ghz).

The groups are using just 3 houses, so this is mainly for dynamic cases, the static case can have groups of 15 or 20 houses. I will do more tests later, houses are amazing !!

The goal is to have a rule base growth that will make each house 100% unique, this can be done during the current grow phase, even for non dynamic houses.

The dynamic ones can even change structure during gameplay (or be destroyed)

My next demo will be with the houses, i will also have a clear mention of the asset in it :)

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    dogzerx2 likes this.
  9. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Awesome, performance looks very promising so far! :)

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed, i can batch in real time multiple houses with the multithreaded batcher. After that the mass of houses is transparent in performance, besides the ram use. Only the ones that go dynamic or during adding to a group may affect performance and always it is a local procedure.

A version with a texture altas would also be very welcome, as it would further lower the batch meshes, but is not that critical. Batching bigger groups is the trick. Also the LOD takes care of far away houses, so essentially there can be a huge number limited by ram alone.

On PS4 that i target mainly, i can have a house world with the 8GB ram :). Now i am experiementing with various procedural mesh deformers, that can be applied during house growth and give an extra unique look, again for zero performance hit after the initial growth.

11. CodeMonke234

CodeMonke234

Purchased :)

12. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@nasos_333:
    Sounds great! Hey, if later on you put together a big town, I would love to check it out... furthermore if you're ok with it, maybe put some of it in as youtube video in the Asset Description, giving you credits of course.

I could make an atlas of the pieces that are likely to go together. But I decided not to make textures too big, because you'd be forced to use a big texture even if it's for a single plank. But either way, if you'd find there are a group of pieces you'd like to be combined, I can do it manually, just let me know!
    If I was more experienced, I would have wanted to make a script that automatically merges textures and creates an atlas, although I think there are scripts that do this in the Asset Store.

I'm very relieved you managed to work with the houses without major hits of performance!

@CodeMonkey234
    Awesome! Hey, if you decide to put together a house, let me know your first impression, if the pieces are functional enough, or if there's something that would make the building process easier, etc.

Thank you!

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  13. nasos_333

nasos_333

I would be glad to make a showcase for the asset :), i want to perfect the house placement, so they sit best on the ground and i will make something cool. This should be trivial since the dynamic growth phase can be scripted in any way, but needs some time to get right.

About textures, i will see if Mesh baker asset can do the atlas, if so there wont be any need for that. I will get back when i test it.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  14. Xoduz

Xoduz

Bought. Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to :)

dogzerx2 likes this.
  15. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@nasos_333: Awesome, sounds very good to me. Can't wait to see the houses in a surrounding environment and see how they look!

@Xoduz: Thank you!! Hope you make great stuff with it. I figure the hardest part would be to get familiar with the pieces, but once you have a basic structure, it's really easy to modify and expand.

One tip, try to put things you'll use many times inside gameObjects (windows, chimneys, walls, doors, roof, etc) So then it's easy to copy, move, modify. It gets gradually faster to build a structure.

If you find the lack of a specific piece is really limiting a structure you want to make, let me know.

16. Xoduz

Xoduz

Just a heads up, when I downloaded and imported Modular Medieval Houses to a fresh install of Unity 5.0.2f1 today, I got the following errors (which I cleared by manually reimporting the standard "Effects" package):
    import_error.JPG

17. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Damn, I forgot about that when uploading. The showcase scene camera uses standard assets so it'll give you errors if you don't have it imported.

Is there a way to include the standard assets in the package to avoid this? If not I might have to delete the camera effects from the showcase.

Last edited: May 15, 2015