Search Unity

Bug Build failures due to Plastic SCM connection issue

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by LilGames, Apr 19, 2022.

1. LilGames

LilGames

Just got failed builds with this error:

! checkout failed. Error During Checkout: Access to your plastic repository has expired. Please reconfigure your

What is that and why? Never had anything like that ever happen when we were using Collaborate.

2. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

You have to re-login to plastic every few days for about a month now. Really annoying issue.

3. LilGames

LilGames

WOW. Happened again less than a day later. I started a build, went off to lunch, came back to find it couldn't even check out the files. How annoying!

ZO5KmUG6R likes this.
  4. LilGames

LilGames

AGAIN!

1: ! checkout failed. Error During Checkout: Access to your plastic repository has expired. Please reconfigure your
    2: Finished: FAILURE

IOU_RAY and ZO5KmUG6R like this.
  5. LilGames

LilGames

This happens when using "Unity ID". Plastic's support recommended to do this:
    1. Go to https://www.plasticscm.com/ and if logged in, sign out. Then use "forgot password".
    2. Set a new password (or even, set it to the Unity ID password you were already using)
    3. Back in Cloud Config, don't click "Use Unity ID" but instead, enter your password, then click SAVE.

Builds should work like normal now. Of course I say this now, but I should be waiting until tomorrow to see what happens!

*EDIT: So far so good.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  6. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Unfortunately, this is currently a known issue with Cloud Build when using Unity ID authentication in association with Plastic SCM for your source control configuration.

This can be alleviated by using a standard Plastic SCM password instead, as this does not use a token that expires. You can create a Plastic SCM password for your existing Unity account by using the "Forgot your password" function at plasticscm.com. You will still be able to use Unity ID authentication in other places. E.g. within the Unity Editor.

Hope this helps!

7. LilGames

LilGames

Simple short-term solution: Unity should disable the option to use Unity ID until this is fixed.

caitlyn_unity130 likes this.
  8. ThisIsNotMyName123

ThisIsNotMyName123

I think that known issues like these should be highlighted on the appropriate page. It may be known to the Unity developers but not to people using the services, so notifying the customers of these known issues is in my opinion a requirement.

LilGames likes this.
  9. LilGames

LilGames

Yes! In fact their system already has the functions to display such information and warnings:
    upload_2022-5-13_11-23-52.png

10. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

This is great feedback, thank you. This is something we plan to address, but you are right, it would be great to stop others falling into this same trap. I will look into adding some further messaging around this until it is resolved.

11. ThisIsNotMyName123

ThisIsNotMyName123

With due respect, shouldn’t it be obvious that paying customers should be notified of breaking issues and outages without them having to write that as feedback? We are evaluating Unity cloud services right now and these kinds of things put into question how serious these cloud efforts really are. Are these actually meant for professional development or are these geared more towards one man teams?

Thank you.

12. duncanx

duncanx

I just stumbled into here after looking for why my build was failing. Why was this text still not pinned to the cloud dashboard? It takes 5-10 minutes to do this.

13. ThisIsNotMyName123

ThisIsNotMyName123

Mishganches and IOU_RAY like this.
  14. LilGames

LilGames

It's not "abandoned". Hyperbole is not helpful.

I've set up the workarounds for linking to Plastic repos and disabled Unity Version auto-detection and have no issues building to Windows, MacOS and Android. That thread you linked to is a very specific issue related to XCode (and Firebase?)

15. ThisIsNotMyName123

ThisIsNotMyName123

A very specific issue? If people can't build for iOS it's a very generic issue. Platform vendors force SDK updates upon developers that require Xcode updates, and Unity takes months to install them on their build machines. That leaves developers with no way of shipping their projects if they are tied to the Unity build system.

This isn't hyperbole.

Mishganches likes this.
  16. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

Earlier today, with support from the Plastic team, we deployed changes to our system that enables the use of long lived Plastic API Keys. When configuring a Plastic repository in Cloud Build with a Unity ID, you will now receive a long lived API Key. This API Key should not expire, but can be revoked by users by going to their Account Dashboard on the Plastic SCM site.

The next time your token expires, you just need to re-authenticate using your Unity ID in the project configuration and your project will now be taking advantage of these long lived tokens.

LilGames likes this.
  17. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

This sounds like a potential solution to the issue I reported in the other thread where the Plastic Repo and Branch are taking forever to fetch (or sometimes failing completely). But I don't see any mention of a "long lived api key" in Configurations/Project Settings.

18. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

These are now by default when you "Continue with Unity ID". Previously using the Unity ID would provide us with a short-lived token from Plastic that had the potential to expire before a build was triggered and the token refreshed. Now when you "Continue with Unity ID" you will get the long lived token.

You can confirm you are using the long lived token by going to the Plastic SCM site and under your account dashboard there should be an API Key section near the bottom of the page. You would have one labeled Unity Cloud Build. For example, this is what mine looks like on the Plastic site:
    upload_2022-8-10_9-33-2.png

rocket5tim likes this.
  19. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

Re-saved the source control config twice now after two plastic access expired errors :/
    EDIT: Second save hung and now the configuration page won't even load :|
    EDIT: Took a whole two minutes to load the configuration page but it went

20. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

I saw this behavior as well and have engaged the Plastic SCM team to determine why these new long lived tokens are still prompting an authentication when using the Plastic CLI tool.

21. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

For the second time now :D....

This issue should now be resolved. After configuring your project to authenticate to Plastic with a UnityId, you should not encounter an error asking to re-authenticate during builds. If you do encounter this issue, please let us know so that we can get to the bottom of it.

LilGames likes this.
  22. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

This issue started up again recently.
    Logged in today, and in less than 2 hours

" Cloud Build encountered an error while validating your Build. Cannot start build - configured source control is unreachable. Plastic: Authentication has expired. Please reconfigure your source control settings."

23. caitlyn_unity130

caitlyn_unity130

Having the same problem today. Every 2 hours or so.

jbartelt likes this.
  24. Mr-Berni

Mr-Berni

Having the same issue today as well!

Also using the reset password trick on PlasticSCM's site does not work as it detects that the email is already linked to a unity account and instead tries to send us to reset out Unity password.

jbartelt likes this.
  25. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting this. I'll be looking into this issue over the coming days.

jbartelt likes this.
  26. MidniteOil

MidniteOil

Any update on this? I setup a new cloud build and my repos is hosted on Plastic SCM. I am able to access the repo just fine from both the https://www.plasticscm.com/ link and the link on the Unity Dashboard:
    upload_2023-1-18_8-40-28.png

But the build says the source control is unreachable. I tried changing my build config to use my Plastic SCM password but it won't even accept that change, giving me this error:
    upload_2023-1-18_8-43-10.png

This is extremely annoying. What good is a CI/CD pipeline that can't build your project?!!!

27. ThisIsNotMyName123

ThisIsNotMyName123

You should be aware by now that seemingly nobody at Unity tests their things even once before committing, be it the engine or (god forbid) the "services", implied by the bugs that are apparent even in the most trivial use case.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  28. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

We have released another patch for Plastic integration that should resolve issues related to authentication with Plastic using the Unity ID. Recent changes by the Plastic CLI introduced a change that broke our implementation of refreshing the tokens used when authenticating with a Unity ID.

If you continue to experience authentication issues with Plastic please open up a support ticket.

MidniteOil likes this.
  29. ThisIsNotMyName123

ThisIsNotMyName123

Hi. But why did you update to the new Plastic version without first testing if it breaks the Plastic integration?

30. MidniteOil

MidniteOil

Thanks, so far, yesterday and today, my builds have been running. Crossing my fingers that they continue to run.

31. bjornbergq

bjornbergq

Hi!

All my builds have failed with this error. There seems to be no possibility to set password for the Plastic SCM account anymore And re authorizing is almost impossible because the settigs are unchangeable when they are the same as before under the VCS. How should i resolve thi sissue?

logs:

Getting organization providers...
    Select the system you want to use to sign in to the organization: Zitemark@cloud

[error] ! checkout failed. Error During Checkout: Access to your plastic repository has expired. Please reconfigure your
    Source Control settings (Configurations -> Source control & Project Settings) in order to reauthorize.

32. bjornbergq

bjornbergq

I tried adding the api key as Encrypted SSH Key, It worked.. But should it be like that?

33. roseverte

roseverte

This happened to me a few hours ago, and I simply go to my settings>source control, then I switched the Unity Version Control to Git hub (so the save button is selectable, but I didn't save it yet), then switched it back again to Unity Version Control, then re-chose my UVCS server, clicked on save (and keep using Unity ID). => You can check at https://www.plasticscm.com/account API keys sect (most bottom), that the last token refresh date and time is being renewed when you click on the save button.
    My next build was success after I did this.

Edit: And this happened again on my next build (after the one I mentioned above). Probably because I clicked on "save" (this might accidentally refreshed the token so) again during the build process, as it will accidentally revoke the previous refreshed build token. I tried to build again without touching the source control... but it's failed again, saying something about deprecated bitcode (weird because the previous build was succeeded without this issue) but anyway the issue with the token seems to be fixed.
    Edit again: ok idk what happened but after I built again without changing anything, it works now.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
  34. roseverte

roseverte

Yesterday I tried 24 times cloud build and most of them are failed because of this.
    To summarize what I tried:
    1. Add api key as encryption key (aes128) or switch the UVC to Git hub and revert back to UVC just to make the save button clickable, so the token will be refreshed.
      This two has the same result. It works but only for once (or maybe just for an hour or so). The next time I build the game I will need to redo this again.
    2. Use the username and password for authentication. Same for LDAP or Password authentication.
      This is not doable at all, saying the credentials are wrong. When I signed up to unity, I used my google account so I didn't make any password. Because of this issue, I renewed my unity id password on the security tab, and it works to login to unity dashboard. Sadly, this username and password combination doesn't work at all to authenticate UVC. I already tried to write down my username roseverte and my registered email, both doesn't work. Only Unity ID works to authenticate UVC.
    Basically, there's no other option but keeps editing something on Settings, Source Control and press the save button to refresh the token before performing any cloud build now. At least that's the case for me.

35. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

A fix for this should be going out today.

36. FrozenBurritos

FrozenBurritos

Hey all, Sadly the issue is continuing for even the most basic of build setups.

Instead of any kind of specific instructions, I am left with this vague message with no clear instructions on what to do next. I have taken the steps to regenerate passwords and signed in with both Unity ID's and a new password, still the same unforgiving message.

[error] Unity Build Automation encountered an error while validating your Build. Cannot start build - configured source control is unreachable.

I dont know where to go next, hopefully something comes up. What Unity Build version is everyone using that has been successful? I think I chose latest 2023.x, but I am not sure if that is the trouble or not. I don't have time to play "whack-a-setting" in my console panel, games need to be written and dollars need to be made to pay for this rear facing service in the cloud. sadness. :(

37. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

Please open up a support ticket by going to the help and support section of the Unity DevOps dashboard.