Search Unity

Build executables for older OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kikendo, Nov 7, 2017.

1. kikendo

kikendo

Can you build binaries in Unity that target OSX lower than 10.9?
    I am running an old 10.7 system, and also have some Powermacs that I would like to compile for, but the apps are just not working. The 10.7 machine complains that you need 10.9 to open the binary, the "Universal" export I made doesn't work on my PPC Macs, what platform are they supposed to run on, 10.5? Universal is supposed to be x86/PPC.

It's weird that the requirement for OS X is 10.9, having in mind Windows executables even run in crappy WIndows XP!

Lohoris2 likes this.
  2. kikendo

kikendo

Bump because I am still wondering why Unity can make Universal binaries (allegedly) but refuses to export in someting OSX 10.5 will read (for a Powermac G5)

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. You will need to downgrade to an older release of Unity. Support for OS X 10.8 was dropped with Unity 5.5 and OS X 10.7 was dropped with Unity 5.3.

Apple and Microsoft have different ways they approach upgrading their OSes. Just because it's easier to maintain backwards compatibility with one doesn't mean it will be the same with the other.

Lohoris2 likes this.
  4. kikendo

kikendo

Well if you read my question a bit more you will see that I am actually looking to make something that runs on 10.5, so I need to go a bit further than 10.8.
    I just don't understand what a "Universal Binary" is, I thought they were the ones that run on PPC and Intel, but that means they have to run on 10.5.

5. orb

orb

Universal binaries are 32-bit and 64-bit binaries nowadays. They used to be PPC/x86, then they became PPC/x86/x86-64, then they dropped official support for PPC. You're going to need to use a much older version of Unity to support PPC (and 32-bit support isn't going to be around forever either), which probably would be somewhere in the 4.x range.

6. kikendo

kikendo

orb, thanks very much for that explanation. How misleading that they kept calling them the same!

Yes, it seems that for making PPC programs I'll need to go real oldschool. Might be worth a try anyway.