Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved build crashes on start now - older build is fine. how to troubleshoot?

Discussion in 'VR' started by metaphysician, Sep 27, 2023.

1. metaphysician

metaphysician

hey folks i have a Quest related build issue. i have been reliably doing Build And Run on the Quest using a Mac without having to use MQDH (Meta Quest Developer Hub) but recently i just ran into an issue where my builds are crashing on the Quest. the build process seems fine and it copies over but when it runs it takes a long time to load, the three dots freezes the animation at some point and then it goes black and after a bit more delay shows the original controllers and then crashes to the home environment.

troubleshooting this i discovered that older builds have no issue, just the newest ones. i checked the repo and it doesn't appear that anyone pushed settings changes or anything like that. i did install MQDH and manually copied the APK over and installed it and the same behavior happens - old builds are fine, new builds crash. it seems there are device logs but not any errors. i'm looking into how to view the application logs but not sure how to access these on the device or print them when running. is there a way to view app logs via MQDH or is that only a Terminal thing with adb? any help appreciated!

2. bugfinders

bugfinders

well start with throwing a number of log entries in to see how far and what gets called etc. Once you find out where it dies.. you have a place to start

metaphysician likes this.
  3. metaphysician

metaphysician

okay, i did enough work to determine that apparently it was a recent commit of the VFX person that raced up the draw calls enough to crash the app, so it wasn't just my Quest that was the issue. thanks for the tip!

bugfinders likes this.