Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Question Build crashes on AMD GPUs but not NVIDIA GPUs (need help)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by KingpinKeys, Jan 9, 2024.

1. KingpinKeys

KingpinKeys

I'm building a game for PC/Windows in Unity version 2022.3.16 (LTS). I've consistently got the game to crash on computers using AMD GPUs, on multiple different machines with different configurations. I have yet to see the build crash at all using a NVIDIA GPU.

Out of interest we launched The Long Dark on an AMD machine which was crashing on our build and lo and behold after around 10 minutes the game suddenly crashed just like the crashes we're experiencing in our build.

There doesn't seem to be a reproducible step it just takes around 5-10 minutes of gameplay before a crash happens. Unfortunately we cant get the build to crash when using a development build so we have very limited logs to try and debug the issue. The one thing that is consistent so far is that every single machine using a AMD graphics card has crashed at some point during the build. I can't attach the crash dump to this post but I'll drop in the Player.log and crash dump in a reply, from the stack trace it does seem graphics related.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  2. KingpinKeys

KingpinKeys

Just to add to this, Backtrace isn't picking up any code errors. I originally thought there was some unsafe code somewhere that was causing a memory leak but using the profiler there are no out of the ordinary jumps in memory during gameplay throughout. The only consistency so far is that AMD cards eventually crash before the end of the game. We actually managed to play through the entire game on an AMD build without crashing just once. No idea what this could mean.

3. KingpinKeys

KingpinKeys

Here is the player log and crash dump

Attached Files:

4. KingpinKeys

KingpinKeys

This is the most detail I can get out of the crash dumps so far. Seems to be crashing on a symbol called UnityPlayer!GfxDevice:: DestroyRenderSurface+22

5. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    Could you please report a bug via the Editor menu
    Help > Report A Bug
    ?

This sounds like it needs a looking at on our side.

6. KingpinKeys

KingpinKeys

Yeah no worries, I've just sent away a bug report. Thanks for getting back to me on this!

MartinTilo likes this.
  7. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

No worries, and with that callstack, I fear there's little you can do, especially when there is no clue what in your game is triggering this