Search Unity

Help Wanted Build bundles for all platforms at once

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by lucianlpt, Apr 29, 2021.

1. lucianlpt

lucianlpt

Hey,

We need to speed up our pipeline and for that we need to build the asset bundles for each paltform at the same time.
    We currently have a separate local repo for each platform. The plan is to run an instance of Unity for each repo and issue a build command for the said bundle.

Is Unity 2019.4 capable of this? I know it's possible to open multiple project at once, but can we be sure there's no hidden issue in Unity which would prevent us to do so, especially because we're talking about opening 1:1 copies of a project? Is just having them in separate folders enough to prevent any cache clashing that Unity might do at build-time based on the project's name/identifier?

A colleague of mine has tried doing so with Unity 2017 a while ago and he remembers there were some problems with an external process (.exe on windows) that Unity uses at build-time that seemed to relate to texture packing. I don't have more details.

This would be a massive improvement in our pipeline, since now we're building each platform one by one.

Thanks

2. liortal

liortal

AFAIK, there's no option to run multiple instances of the same Unity project at once. It will result in an error saying "project is already open".

If you want to build the same bundle for multiple platforms, either create separate clones of the project under different folders on your machine, then run all of them at once, or create a build process that changes the active build target and then builds the same bundle per platform.

Note that with Unity 2019.x (don't remember which one), the Asset Database v2 provides much faster platform switching so running a batch process that will switch to any platform you want and then build the asset bundle may not be so bad as it initially sounds :)

3. lucianlpt

lucianlpt

Thanks for the reply.

We already have multiple repos. I was wondering if there's anyone from Unity that can confirm whether the latest 2019 has any problem in building those at once (more details in my original post).

unityunity