Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Build "assets search index" on project import

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by Peter77, May 24, 2021.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

When opening an existing project without Library folder (when pulled from version control) causes Unity to import/load all assets.

Once the project has been opened and then using the new Search, causes Unity to load all assets again to build the assets search index. During this time, the editor turns pretty much unusable, because of freezes that occur when loading assets.

I wonder if you can build the search index during project import already, to avoid the double-waiting-time and hide the freezes.

upload_2021-5-24_7-29-27.png

mahdi_jeddi likes this.
  2. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

Hi, this is indeed a solution. We had this at some point, but many users preferred to wait until they use QS for the first time for the index to be built.

That said, the indexing happens in a background process and shouldn't affect the main editor process unless you have very few cores or overloaded HDD activities? Which version are you at? Does it seems to stall while resolving artifacts (step 1), while combining indexes (step 2, your screen shot seems to be in that step), while sorting indexes (step 3) or any of those steps?

Thanks,

3. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

Good news, the search indexing combine step has been improved by 175%. The improvement is already available in com.unity.quicksearch@3.0.0-preview.10, it will land soon in 22.1 and will probably be backported to 21.2.

Thanks,

4. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Hello,

How do i TURN OFF the search index background task? It took over my whole computer , i cant even move the mouse anymore and the CPU is at 100% HD at 100%, i mean who writes code that does that??

Why is it that once i run Unity, it takes over the whole computer, even if its doing nothing with a blank project, the CPU is going 100% and the fan start going like crazy and it stays that why all the time?

OMG come on man why is all that necessary?

Chuddubs, Pavlov_Oleg, Wrymnn and 4 others like this.
  5. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

still issue in 2023... insane

RedRival and Pavlov_Oleg like this.
  6. bab202

bab202

For my case, the search index fail to build and keep rebuilding anytime I open search window just because in my project i have asset file name with unicode character. For example: điện thoại.mp3.

After exclude those files or folder which contains these unicode characters from search index, the seach index build success.