Search Unity

Build app package for windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sanglac, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Sanglac

Sanglac

Hello there!

I would like to build an appx (Universal Windows Platform / Windows store) for windows 8.1.

I installed the Windows 8.1 SDK individual component in the Visual studio installer, but the Windows 8.1 SDK is not available in the Build Settings in unity (they are only windows 10 versions).

Furthermore, they are no Windows 8.1 SDK for UWP in the Visual studio installer...

I use Unity 2019.1.14f1 and Visual Studio 2017. And my computer is a Windows 8.1 Professional.

In the unity manual, I only found an out-dated page about Universal app for Windows 8.1. But, it bothers me to downgrade my project for unity 5... https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/WindowsUniversalApps.html

At least can I create a windows 8.1 app package with unity 2019 ?

2. timke

timke

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  3. Sanglac

Sanglac

Thanks!

I'll try to open my project on unity 5.6.

But before that, i try to create an only one cube app for windows 8.1. And I have some build errors:

Microsoft (R) Visual C# Compiler version 42.42.42.42424
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

error CS1509: The referenced file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETCore\v4.5.1\System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll' is not an assembly
    error CS0009: Metadata file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETCore\v4.5.1\System.EnterpriseServices.Thunk.dll' could not be opened -- PE image doesn't contain managed metadata.

I found another topic about this error:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-to-apx-howto.382882/

But, the solution is to install and reinstall VS 2013, and, it doesn't work for me.
    I installed VS2015, VS2013, and VS tools for unity, uninstalled all, reinstalled VS2013... But, the error persists.

The two dll (System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll and System.EnterpriseServices.Thunk.dll) exist, and I don't understand why the compiler says "is not an assembly" or "PE image doesn't contain managed metadata."...

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Are those DLLs valid? did you try opening them in ILSpy?

5. Sanglac

Sanglac

Can i open it on my Windows 10 ? I can't install ILSpy on my Windows 8.1 from the microsoft store.

I copied/pasted it on my Windows 10 desktop and I opened both DLLs with ILSpy

Wrapper:

Thunk:

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That suggests the DLL is corrupted... However, you could try deleting these two DLLs and see if the build can continue (make sure to back them up to restore them if something goes wrong!).