Search Unity

Build and Run fails: BundleConfig.pb missing.

Discussion in 'Android' started by username132323232, May 30, 2019.

1. username132323232

username132323232

Trying to build app bundle with ARMv7 and ARM64 target architectures. The .aab file gets created, but the app fails to install on the attached smartphone. Any suggestions?

Error:
    Installation failed with the following output:
    [BT:0.6.0] Error: The archive doesn't seem to be an App Bundle, it is missing required file 'BundleConfig.pb'.
    com.android.tools.build.bundletool.exceptions.BundleFileTypesException$MandatoryBundleFileMissingException: The archive doesn't seem to be an App Bundle, it is missing required file 'BundleConfig.pb'.

2. username132323232

username132323232

anyone having the same problem?

3. weiping-toh

weiping-toh

Have you tried exporting out into the Android Studio project to see if it exports correctly? My project also builds out the app bundle version and it is working fine. It might be some misconfiguration of the gradle script or errors during the gradle build. Try exporting to the Android studio project and gradle build from there to see if it is a Unity issue or project misconfiguration.

4. username132323232

username132323232

Thank you for your suggestion. I have never exported to Android Studio, but I'm willing to try. The question is that suppose it builds in Android Studio. That would mean that the problem is on Unity side. How would I proceed fixing it?

5. weiping-toh

weiping-toh

If the problem is on Unity side, there is nothing else you can do about it except for changing your build workflow to build via Android Studio.

username132323232 likes this.
  6. weiping-toh

weiping-toh

You might want to test the output bundle using bundletool. https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/bundletool

Android bundle is a relatively new feature even for play store itself. So I would expect bugs from Unity misconfiguring the gradle build step to generate the bundle.

As of now, the other issue I am currently facing with the gradle build is with the gradle build cache not being cleaned. I understand that having the cache speeds up process by skipping out on certain binaries but can Unity at the very least provide a "clean before build" option when running gradle build as gradle has the tendency to misjudge deltas of compiled binaries.

7. username132323232

username132323232

That's a great idea. Thanks again. I really appreciate your help with this tricky problem!

8. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

How are you guys getting along with these bundles, any success with generating a valid .aab?

9. weiping-toh

weiping-toh

I am currently using the export project option to interject with a gradle clean before bundling to clear away the cache and include in a --no-build-cache option via the cli mode. Unity build settings should include a simple toggle for this particular flag during build....

10. dm_bond

dm_bond

AAB looks correct and contains BundleConfig.pb. If replace bundletool-all-0.6.0.jar with fresh bundletool-all-0.10.0.jar also no install but no errors in Editor.log. AAB install successfully from command line with fresh bundletool (build-apks, install-apks).

Attached Files:

11. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Hi, did anyone get to the bottom of this? I'm trying to make a new update for my app that's made in Unity 2018.4.31 but i'm getting this error when trying to upload to google play. Unity completes the build without errors.

12. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I figured it out. My build script was building a bundle but it wasn't setting

Code (CSharp):
    1. EditorUserBuildSettings.buildAppBundle = true;
    and that box wasn't checked manually in Build Settings.

13. zackblack

zackblack

So I finally figured out what caused this for me. I had pre-selected to replace the old filename.apk, BUT then I checked the "Build App Bundle" checkbox. So it seemed Unity was trying to save an app bundle with the .apk format and threw the error.

hahahpizza, RSH1 and rbitard like this.
  14. ABerlemont

ABerlemont

Thanks. You saved my afternoon.

zackblack likes this.
  15. gug_e

gug_e

Thank you. You saved my life.