Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bugs in NavMeshBuilder

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by snacktime, Dec 14, 2017.

1. snacktime

snacktime

So I can create a test case for this with some amount of work, but unless it's actually going to get fixed, I really don't have the time.

Basically building/updating is broken at runtime if the nav sources have any static geometry. Which really makes the entire system worthless.

Specific error is:

Source mesh Combined Mesh (root: scene) does not allow read access

2. snacktime

snacktime

FYI this when you use render geometry so not nearly as bad as I thought at first.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  3. adriant

adriant

Unity Technologies

This error pops up because one or more meshes are not read/write enabled so they cannot be taken into consideration when the NavMesh is built. It would be misleading to see that they have no effect in the NavMesh although they are there, in the scene. I see two solutions: either 1. enable read/write on those meshes when they are imported, or 2. ignore those meshes explicitly from the baking process.

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I'm guessing that the problem here is that the specific mesh in question is the one created by Static Batching, which doesn't offer any controls over the read/write flag.

Peter77 likes this.
  5. castor76

castor76

Interesting. @snacktime , does it happen only on 2017.3 beta? (ie : works for 2017.2) ?

6. snacktime

snacktime

@superpig ya that is the issue pretty sure. All the meshes in the navmesh sources were actually created in code.

Only tested this on 2017.3