Search Unity

Buggy editor since version 2020.1.13 - x server freezes when opening/moving layout

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SimonK91, Jan 4, 2021.

1. SimonK91

SimonK91

When moving around the layout (i.e. popping out scene/game view, rearranging the editor gui items etc.) or opening new editor windows (for example the "anchor presets" on UI items) the x server freezes.

It seems to be connected to how Unity uses the gtk library.

Does anyone know what the cause might be, and do anyone know how to solve it?
    I have seen one additional case of this problem/bug on stackoverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65463321

ScallyGames likes this.
  2. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

This is a bug. You shouldn't normally see this error. Please use "Help->Report a Bug" so we can see your editor.log. This deals with some recent work on how we do windowing in Linux to make it more reliable. Which obviously isn't happening here.

3. SimonK91

SimonK91

I've made a bug report of this problem (case id 1303231).
    I hope you can find the issue.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  4. tawandachiteshe

tawandachiteshe

when is this bug gonna be fixed

5. Tornar

Tornar

Same bug here! :mad:

6. Corentin

Corentin

Same bug in Unity 19.4 LTS

7. Skyrimgamer

Skyrimgamer

Same bug with Unity 2019.4.18.f1 and Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1

8. ScallyGames

ScallyGames

@KevinWelton as I am watching this thread and more reports are being made - are further environment descriptions / editor bug reports useful for you or do you already have everything you need to investigate the issue? Is there any useful information we could give you that would help in fixing this problem?

9. rg1693

rg1693

I confirm I have this bug too on Ubuntu 20, Cinnamon and Unity 2019.4.17f1.

here's the error:
    X server took longer than 2002 milliseconds to respond to SetGtkWindowSizeAndPosition.
    UnityEditor.TooltipView:Show(String, Rect, GUIView)​

I've sent a bug report. Is there a public official issue tracker where I can follow the issue progress ?

10. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Can you give this a try on the latest release of Unity on Linux? We've made major changes to how we handle windowing in Linux in both 2020.x builds and 2021.x builds.

11. Corentin

Corentin

Just tried this, and could not reproduce with latest 2021 bêta.

Could this be backported to 2019LTS, please ?

ohin likes this.
  12. ohin

ohin

Which versions exactly? I am running 2020.2.2f1 on latest Ubuntu and am still experiencing the lag with the
    X server took longer than
    message.

I was trying it on project which was upgraded from 2020.2.1f1. Is it enough or should I do some other modifications to the project?

13. Corentin

Corentin

it seemed ok with 2021.1.0b3

14. ohin

ohin

I see, so Kevin probably meant the latest latest build, not the latest from the 2020 series and latest from 2021 series...

15. ohin

ohin

So I tried the version 2021.1.0b4.1811 and it is better, but not ideal - dropdowns are now working ok, however, moving the windows around in editor is unusable. When you start dragging the inner window by its title, it moves for short moment and then freezes and it is not possible to control it anymore. After few more seconds it settles wherever you were able to move it to.

I am using i3wm if it is relevant. I am adding error messages from the console.

Code (csharp):
    2. ...
    4. X server took longer than 2002 milliseconds to respond to SetGtkWindowSizeAndPosition.
    5. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    7. X server took longer than 2004 milliseconds to respond to SetGtkWindowSizeAndPosition.
    8. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    10. X server took longer than 2001 milliseconds to respond to SetGtkWindowSizeAndPosition.
    11. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    13. X server took longer than 2001 milliseconds to respond to SetGtkWindowSizeAndPosition.
    14. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    16. OnGUIDepth changed: was 39 is 43. Event type was 3

16. rjparker

rjparker

Moving from 2019.4.18f1 to version 2021.1.0b4.1811 solved the timeout issues (similar to ohin), but the editor is very unresponsive. I need to move the mouse very slowly for things to behave. I am using a fresh Ubuntu 20.04.1 installation on a brand new Del G3 i7. I am new to Unity, so I don't know if I can log this as a bug. About 6 months ago, I tried Unity on an older machine using Lubuntu 18..04 and I don't remember having these issues with the editor -- only with poor game play.

17. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@rjparker, you can always log an issue using the menu "Help->Report a Bug". The more information you can provide on your system and how we can repro the problem the more likely it is that we'll be able to verify and take it into account.

For this particular issue, I'm not able to repro a performance problem with Editor windows on 2021.1.0b4 or my own build from the latest source.

Can you clarify what sort of problem you're seeing? Do you have mesa drivers installed for AMD/Intel GPU or official NVIDIA drivers for NVIDIA GPU?

18. ohin

ohin

@KevinWelton The Help->Report a Bug is not working for me in the latest build. I reported it not working through the UnityHub bug report window.

Not sure how to answer the question about drivers. Here is my attempt:

$ lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620 (rev 02)
    DeviceName: Onboard IGD
    Subsystem: Dell HD Graphics 620
    Kernel driver in use: i915

$ glxinfo | grep -i vendor
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel

19. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@ohin, I can repro the bug reporter not working. The good news is that the fix will be in 2021.2 builds. The bad news is that it isn't in any current builds. As far as backporting, I don't have insight yet on if this will be done.

The bug reporter failing to launch is unique to Ubuntu 20.04 (and its related distros / newer releases, which we don't officially support.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  20. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@APSchmidt, Update: the bug reporter fix will also be in 2021.1.0b7.

Also, as far as MonoDevelop, I did not install it. I verified the solution generation was available for VS Code. My mistake.

Newer builds of Unity officially support VS Code, JetBrains Rider and Visual Studio (Mac / Windows only).

Rider and VS Code are both great IDEs for Linux, with VS Code being the free option. If you PM me I can help you get VSCode configured as there are a couple of things you'll need to do to get IntelliSense working. But I'm a big fan.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  21. MadWatch

MadWatch

What one needs to do to get VSCode to work seems to change every now and then as new versions comes out. Back when I was using it it didn't require Mono, but now it seems it does. I wrote instructions on this forum about how to get it to work, but I'm pretty sure they're outdated now.

I always had trouble getting VSCode working on every system I used it on (not only Linux) and I often experienced breakage when it updated (or when the C# extension updated). If you know how to get it to work on Linux, could you please make a sticky post on this forum with detailed instructions? I'm sure that would help many newcomers.

As for me I stopped using VSCode and switched to Rider. Not free, but far less expensive than all the headache medications I had to take because of VSCode.

22. Corentin

Corentin

I'd love to have instructions for VSCode too !

23. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@MadWatch, good idea. I will make a sticky post.

24. planaratron

planaratron

Just wanted to chime and say I am also experiencing this bug, on 2020 and 2021 builds, trying alpha now...

25. MostCommonName

MostCommonName

This Linux Editor bug (num. 1309607) is now considered fixed starting from 2019.04.X series and upwards, as stated in the release log for version 2019.04.24f1, under FIXES section:

Linux: Converted "X11 did not respond within x milliseconds" error to a logged warning. (1309607)

I've done some test on my end, on a Lubuntu 18.04.05 LTS O.S. with kernel 5.4.0-71, XServer, Mesa drivers (v20.3.5), using an integrated Intel HD3000 graphic card, and I can confirm that Editor, v2019.04.24f1, is finally more responsive and, most importantly, all of those exceptions not only are gone but there isn't any warning reported either whenever mouse pointer's hovering any element with a popup-info reaction on hover.
    However, again in my case, popup info doesn't appear immediately (as it should) as soon as pointer enters a responsive area of buttons, labels etc..., but only after pointer is moved just a little on those responsive area.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  26. leandiez

leandiez

Excellent.
    I stop by just to confirm that the latest version (2019.04.24f1 in my case) solves the problem and to give thanks for take Linux support seriously despites the difficulty of it, it helps a lot for in the future many more people can join to develop games and technology.
    Regards!