Search Unity

Games BugFoundry - Runtime C# code editor

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by BugsBuggy, Jan 1, 2023.

1. BugsBuggy

BugsBuggy

BugFoundry is free and open source.
    Github: https://github.com/BugsBuggy42/BugFoundry
    screenShot.png
    Video introduction:

There are two aspects of the project - the runtime editor and a practice problem platform.

Editor features so far:
    * Code completion.
    * Compile time error overlay.
    * Shows overload options
    * Detailed customizable code highlighting(coloring)
    * Can generate using statements for unrecognized types

The editor can potentially be useful as a debug helper that you put in dev builds that lets you manipulate and fix things from within the build, although I have not given that too much thought.

It can also be used as a game mechanic, or the core of an educational software, something like the three levels which exist in the project currently.

I wanted a runtime editor for a long time, since I believe coding can be very interesting if niche mechanic, so I made one. Also Lua, while it makes much more sense, is not something I want to explore for personal hangups about what a "real" programming language is.

Do you see usefulness for a tool like that, or promise in the educational game aspect?

Also I understand this will not build on all platforms, since it uses Roslyn dlls and runtime compilation, from someone with experience in this area, what can I hope to run this on?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

At a minimum, it will not be able to run on these platforms due to runtime code compilation restrictions:
    • iOS
    • UWP
    • WebGL
    • Consoles (Playstation, Xbox, Switch, ...)
    Not sure about Android and Android-based VR headsets (Quest).

BugsBuggy likes this.