Search Unity

Bug with Terrain in where it draws height at max if not GPU Instanced ('Draw Instanced')

Discussion in 'World Building' started by astracat111, Feb 23, 2019.

1. astracat111

astracat111

Hey there,

I will be updating today to the newest version of Unity, but in the meantime I've found a pretty severe bug that presents itself when I don't have my terrain set to 'Draw Instanced' in it's settings:

The low frame rate is just due to having a fairly slow computer for streaming.

2. astracat111

astracat111

And now for the next problem...On every single terrain my brush is coming out as a square, as you can see in the video as well.

3. astracat111

astracat111

Okay so I've solved it, for anyone looking this up here or on google, the problem was that I was using DirectX 12.0 experimental as my windows graphics api. I switched it to OpenGLES 3.0 and it works great. I'm going to suppose that DirectX 11.0 also works well.

EDIT: And so the fix is indeed to use the DirectX 11.0 api if you're on Windows. OpenGLES 3.0 also had problems with painting and setting height etc... DirectX 11 works fine.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  4. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

It might be that we haven't put the proper texture format support for the heightmap into the DX12 implementation yet

5. astracat111

astracat111

Alright, well for the most part it's been working since using the directx 11 api to edit.

There is another bug that I've come across previously in where I need to have layers between scenes, each terrain has to have the exact same order of layers. Say 1 is my grass layer, 2 is my dirt layer and 3 is my snow layer. On the first terrain in the first scene I lay down grass as my 1 layer...well, if on my second scene I were to lay down snow as my 1 layer, it would then effect the first scene making it show snow.

I know it's odd, I don't have time to re-create it at the moment, but it's been a bit buggy.