Search Unity

Bug Bug when creating a new project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by hyperkvlt, Apr 1, 2021.

1. hyperkvlt

hyperkvlt

There has been no problem using unity these past months...
    But suddenly, today, when I tried creating new projects.
    I got these library error things, not sure why. Probably my editor got corrupted or something.

I am currently using unity hub ver 2.4.2. and editor ver 2019.4.21f1.

While downloading a new editor might actually fix it, I wonder what caused this.

I worry this might be a virus or something, today my discord went error followed by my opera, I was forced to uninstall and reinstall them. And I was unable to open window update blocker, too. What a bad day.

Attached Files:

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

This looks like the standard package puke that Unity barfs all over new projects. If you don't need packages, remove them. Unity is very piggish with adding tons of stuff and it regularly trips up new users just starting out.

You can remove this crud with the Package Mangler but it's EXTREMELY tedious and slow-going because you can only remove one package at a time, then you are forced to endure Unity reimporting EVERYTHING, only to have to remove yet another package.

I usually close Unity and edit the
    Packages/manifest.json
    file (in a text editor) to get rid of all the crapware they shovel in, like purchasing analytics, test runner, etc., anything that you don't actually need. It's only going to waste your your time, cause errors, and drive up your laptop battery use compiling it all every time you make a change.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What Kurt said. It is really annoying, and results in a lot of unnecessary help threads from new users. Not a good look when you create your first project and you're already encountering errors. The Unit testing package being included by default is the most puzzling to me (the package which is showing errors in this case), because I'll take a wild guess that less than 1% of Unity users actually perform unit testing, and those people will obviously know they need to install the package.

The only packages you probably need are the UI and Visual Studio packages, unless you're using a different code editor.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  4. hyperkvlt

hyperkvlt

The strange thing is I cannot spot this unit testing in the package, and after I tried to disable all with /**/ aside of editor and UI, I encountered these RETRY problem.

Here's what's written in the manifest.JSON
    https://pastebin.com/c2YqQix1

And after installing the newest LTS editor I encountered some new problems which are fortunately can be cleared.
    Most likely because i was offline at the time.

Attached Files:

5. hyperkvlt

hyperkvlt

Well, I am not exactly sure which one are unnecessary, from what I see they all unity default things. And I am not sure which ones are unit testing.

Here's what's written in the manifest.JSON
    https://pastebin.com/c2YqQix1

....And after installing the newest LTS editor I encountered some new problems which are fortunately can be cleared.
    Most likely because I was offline at the time.

Attached Files:

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm pretty sure you've got the Test Framework package. Maybe go to it in the Package Manager and click "remove". Backup your project first.

Edit: Never mind, for some dang reason it is a dependency for the VS Editor package. That's stupid. No idea how to fix this then. Maybe update it to 1.1.24?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    hyperkvlt likes this.
  7. hyperkvlt

hyperkvlt

Thanks! Updating to 1.1.24 really works.

Except there was some errors remain, but they can be cleared, so at least it's still playable. But one remained even after deleting d_Visibility_Tool.png.meta. Well it's still can be played, though it might lead to some problem later.

Attached Files:

Joe-Censored likes this.