Search Unity

Bug (Usability): Refresh resets the layer palette profile

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Rowlan, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I just created a palette with 12 layers. Hitting "Refresh" removed all my layers and I had to do all the work again:

rf.png

My guess is it's because I didn't press save. I never did that and I'm not used to that inside Unity.

If anything there should be a warning that you have unsaved changes. Or name it Load or something. I was under the assumption that my layer palette content would be refreshed.

2. Rowlan

Rowlan

Oh, that gets actually worse.

When you created your palette and saved it and used it on a single terrain, let's name it "Terrain 0", it's fine. If you paint, shift them in the order in the palette and delete layers and paint on the terrain. It's still fine.

However after you shifted and deleted and didn't press save, yet created new terrain tiles, it all becomes inconsistent. It seems like the palette profile is used. But "Terrain 0" has it with the unsaved changes while the other terrain tiles use the saved one. Basically you end up like this:

s1.jpg
    When I created the new tiles the first layer was used, only that one was available. If anything, it should be all or none. But not only the first one. Then I hit the "refresh" button since the Palette Profile for "Terrain 0" seemed to be the same for all terrain tiles. But obviously the one I saved got loaded instead the (unsaved) one of "Terrain 0".

Terrain Tools version: 3.0.2-preview.3

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

Now that I refreshed all, from a certain distance still everything is purple. Even when I paint a proper layer on it.

urp.png
    Unity 2020.2.0f1 URP

4. Rowlan

Rowlan

Seems restarting Unity "fixed" it, I guess some initialization is missing. The purple stuff however seems to be what's shown here as "foggy" terrain layers when you approach them:

bug.gif
    ie what is displayed "foggy" was purple before.

5. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

that "foggy" bit is probably the terrain's base map rendering (no fancy blending, lower resolution, etc)