Search Unity

BUG - Upgrading to newer version does not actually upgrade anything

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by rob8861, Jul 12, 2018.

1. rob8861

rob8861

When you try to open a project which was created in an older version with a newer version, a popup comes up with a warning. If you proceed with the upgrade and assuming everything went okay, the next time you open the same project again, it will ask you to upgrade again and again and again and again....

I'll be filing a bug because this is also an issue when opening a project directly from the editor, rather than the hub

2. elbows

elbows

The manual fix for this which normally works for me, is to go to the file menu and Save Project.

I wish Unity would sort this out though, its a bit tedious and the issue has existed for some time.

3. asperatology

asperatology

It's becoming a problem for so long, I am starting to think this is for backward compatibility reasons, in case someone accidentally opened up the project on a newer version and break everything up without the user realizing what's going on.

I'm pretty sure no one would want to save a broken project when they never expected tons of errors appearing in the Console when the project was doing just fine yesterday.

4. elbows

elbows

I doubt that, especially as its only a question of it not properly updating the ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt file, any script upgrades etc made during project load into new version will still have happened, so backwards compatibility is not really preserved.

Also I'm sure I saw someone from Unity acknowledging the issue on the forum a while back, but I cannot remember which post.

5. asperatology

asperatology

Yes I do recall there was a post that you're referring to (as it came up while I am Google searching, but that was 3 years ago, and it was about Unity 5.X minor versions not detecting new 5.X minor version updates), but the post only acknowledges the problem, and it is not saying the team is addressing it.

Probably going have to live with this until the end of time.

6. elbows

elbows

The one I remember was much more recent than that, ie in recent months, but I cant find it at the moment.

7. rob8861

rob8861

I had no idea this issue existed prior to 2018. I must have modified something in the project that triggered the change to persist.
    Also, I noticed that by hitting the "save project" immediately after the upgrade does nothing. You can click it multiple times and the project will not be saved. Close it and It will be back to its previous version. You actually need to change an asset to trigger Unity to save you changes. Very buggy. Hopefully someone from Unity can acknowledge it and address it.

8. asperatology

asperatology

Go and file an issue on the Unity Issues Tracker. They wouldn't acknowledge it, let alone know about it, until an issue about this appears there. After that, they can then look into it and respond accordingly.

9. elbows

elbows

I guess its inconsistent as to whether that works. I tested just pressing Save Project without making any changes just before I made the post suggesting that workaround the other day, and it worked. But yeah, on other occasions I needed to change a project setting before Save Project actually fixed things. Maybe on the occasions where Save Project alone worked for me, its because something had been changed in the project by the upgrade routine itself.

10. elbows

elbows

I found the post I was thinking of where someone at Unity acknowledging the issue. It was from March this year:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/ope...pdate-its-version-number.521111/#post-3431572

11. asperatology

asperatology