Search Unity

[Bug] Unity Version is not updated properly

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by fherbst, Jul 17, 2019.

1. fherbst

fherbst

The Unity Version shown in Hub does not match the actual Unity version needed when it's changed on disk while Hub is open and sometimes not even when closing Hub and opening it again.

A common workflow for me is to "test" if projects can be upgraded to newer versions, and for that I usually open them with a newer version, see what happens, and reset the project in git after commiting to a different branch.

Another common workflow is (for Asset Store publishing) to have git branches for different Unity version support to test it out. When switching branches and then clicking on the project in Hub, the version is always wrong / stuck to some version that is not correct. Even after clicking on it (and Unity telling me that this is not the version the project is in) the "Unity Version" label in Hub is not updated to reflect the actual version in ProjectSettings.txt.

This either needs to work properly (e.g. checking the ProjectSettings.txt once focussing the Hub window) or I need a way to manually force a refresh of all "Unity Version" labels.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

The Hub actually checks the ProjectSettings.txt file for the Unity version. Are you saying you closed the Hub, reopened and saw an different version than the settings file associated to your project? Normally saving the scene updates the file which is then updated in the Hub eventually. Changing branches is not completely handled by the Hub right now but every other use case should work. Could you report a bug through the Hub's Bug Reporter (in the tray menu) ? We'll investigate this further.

Cheers,

3. Deozaan

Deozaan

It sounds to me like fherbst is using git to checkout different branches of the project which are on different Editor versions, and that Hub isn't reading in the new changes to ProjectSettings.txt that took place while Hub was running.

4. fherbst

fherbst

@Deozaan that's correct, as described above. This is a common workflow not only in our team but other teams I talked to - having to quit (not only close, but quit) the Hub and reopening it after every git branch change is very annoying. And yes, I have the Hub open most of the time since I'm switching between projects a lot.

Easiest fix, as described above, would be to check for changed files "on window focus" for the Hub. Or have a refresh button. Or at least have F5 as refresh shortcut.

@AbrahamDUnity Just did that. Wasn't aware that there's a bug reporter hidden in the tray icon!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  5. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@fherbst we understand this is sub-optimal at the moment. We're trying to find a good balance between keeping the information up-to-date and not hogging the machine's resources. Thanks for pointing out the bug reporter's not visible enough, we'll look into that too! I can't really give an estimate of when we'll address the "updating project info" issue but I'll bring it up with the team and we'll hopefully look into it soon.

Thank you for using the Hub!

fherbst likes this.
  6. fherbst

fherbst

At least please add the F5 shortcut and have it be my decision to clog my machine's resources in exchange for updated status info ;)

Deozaan and AbrahamDUnity like this.