Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Bug] Unity upgrade broke particle rotation

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by probbins, Oct 6, 2013.

1. probbins

probbins

I recently upgrade from Unity 4.01 to the latest 4.2.1.

In unity 4.0.1 all my particle effects were implemented and working nicely, after upgrading many of them now have rotation issues. As an example a hypnotic spiral effect was rotating around y (the center of the spiral was y axis), now after upgrading the effect is rotating around the z.

It doesn't even seem to be consistent either, other effects that were billboard now have odd rotations, so rather then facing the camera upright in a portrait position, its now half way between portrait and landscape.

It seems like I am not the only one with the issue, I've found several of these posts but all with no answers.

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/420360/how-do-i-change-the-axis-of-rotation-on-a-mesh-par.html

I suspect it may have something to do with these fixes in the patch notes
    I did not make the particle effects, the were working perfectly before the upgrade and now are now broken, if anyone has got any suggestions on fixing the issue I would really appreciate it, I've had a through look thorough the shuriken particle system but find it just does not work as I expect and does not provide a obvious way to select rotation axis or even scale.

I am hoping it is something obvious I have missed!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. Gromit

Gromit

I also have this problem, thus I have refrained myself from updating to 4.2 until now.

Any answer to this would be appreciated.

3. me12

me12

I also have an issue which might have the same reason as yours.

I am setting roation by speed. But my particles are always rotating. Even when they are standing still. Always at the same rate. Setting the speed range for that rotation has no effect either.

4. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

This update (also the common users we bplayer has been updated) breaks also existing web games, just check this out:
    www.orionattack.com (press play now button to load the web game).

You will notice that differently from the iOS version which uses Unity 3.x player, which is just fine, the particles used to show the path of the creeps is now wrong, and the arrows doesn't follow the direction anymore. This is disappointing...

Upgrading the project to Unity4.2.1 doesnt solve the problem.

5. andymads

andymads

Have just upgraded to Unity 4 today and it seems that the rotation axis for mesh particles has been changed from Y to Z. Caused me a few problems working it out but I think I've got it fixed now.