Search Unity

[Bug] Unity Hub fails to detect a Unity version has been uninstalled.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by StephanieRowlinson, Feb 8, 2018.

1. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

This is going to be a bit of long story, I'll try to keep it as concise as possible.

- I noticed a new Unity beta version (b5) had been released and clicked install in Unity Hub.
    - I didn't notice that it also wanted to install Visual Studio Community, which I don't need as I run Pro.
    - I cancelled the Community install once it started running.
    - Unity Hub was now stuck on "installing" for b5.
    - I opened b5 directly and ran a project in it, it had been correctly installed.
    - I decided to uninstall and re-install Unity Hub.
    - I figured I'd uninstall b5 as well.
    - After re-installing Hub I noticed it still listed b5.
    - I clicked "uninstall" as I there's no "remove from list" option.
    - Got an error that b5 couldn't be uninstalled and the version remained in my list.
    - Tried re-installing b5 and then uninstalling from Hub, doesn't work.
    - I've now got a ghost version of Unity in Hub.

In conclusion there are 2 issues I've noticed:
    - Unity Hub has no way of handling the cancelling of the VS Community installation.
    - Unity Hub doesn't detect a version has been removed through Windows and doesn't give me any options to manually correct this.

UPDATE:

I just spotted the install path for b5 from Hub was "C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor", I removed that folder and now I no longer have a ghost version in my list.

2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry about your experience.

Regarding the VS community installation. we have a bug opened for that. We are investigating a solution.
    Regarding the Windows uninstall, we are trying to reproduce your case. Ideally, we want you to be able to uninstall the editors through the hub. I will add the bug to our backlog.

Thanks again for the feedback.

3. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

Thanks for your response. If I can help out by providing more information, just let me know. :)

4. nascentparadigm

nascentparadigm

I experienced this as well - I had to manually uninstall the 2018 beta version I had installed, because the option to uninstall from the Hub wasn't available (although I did install the beta from the Hub, which is another bug), and now I can't remove it from the Hub list, or reinstall it from the Hub.

5. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hi, we will work on fixing this issue.
    In the meantime, can you make sure that the folder of the beta is entirely removed from the installation folder? (Default is: %Program files%\Unity\Hub\Editor or /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor.
    Once the folder is not there anymore it should forget about it once restarting the Hub.

6. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Doesn't work for me. And the option to remove it from the list is active, but does nothing.

7. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Sorry that the fix is not helping your issue. Would you please tell us which version of Unity Hub are you using? (In mac you can check the version from the toolbar and in Windows, it is added to the window header if you are on latest)

If you are using 0.15.0+, and still see the uninstalled editor, would you please try to restart the hub (using "Quit Hub" from the tray menu)

If this doesn't work, I will follow up with you in a direct message to take a look at your log files.

Best,
    Afshin

8. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

I'm on 0.15.0.

I tried all of this and none of it worked. I got around the issue by reinstalling Unity to the hub-specified location, using the normal installer. After that, I was able to uninstall and such as normal.