Search Unity

[BUG] Unity 2020.3LTS - (win) Incorrect Pen mapping to Mouse input, also breaking native UI elements

Discussion in 'Input System' started by fcloss, Jun 9, 2022.

1. fcloss

fcloss

Hi,

After more than 10 years using it, now the Input Manager incorrectly maps Pen (either laptops with Pen or USB Pens, like Wacom Intuos) input to mouse input properties (mousePosition, GetMouseButtonDown, GetMouseButton).

How it worked (and should work):

* Pen reaches screen or tablet (wacom usb): Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0) = true
    * While pen is touching screen or tablet: Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0) = false; Input.GetMouseButton(0) = true, position on screen using Input.mousePosition is updated every frame according to movement;

How it is now (incorrect): (using Unity 2020.3.33f1)

* Pen reaches screen or tablet (wacom usb): Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0) = true (ok)
    * While pen is touching screen or tablet: Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0) = true (*incorrect), Input.GetMouseButton(0) = false (incorrect), position not updated (*incorrect), value is always the initial position.

Result is that pen is not working anymore in my app, which includes drag & drop, drawing, drag for 3D navigation, etc.

Please, converting it to Input System is not an option as I use compiled plugins that relies on Input Manager. In my opinion this is a bug that does not follow the input logic and that breaks retro-compatibility.

OTHER ERRORS (that happen also with Input System):
    Not working UI elements: ScrollRect, DraggableScrollItem, etc
    (check attached gif of scroll rect with mouse and then with pen)

Unity UI relies on Input Manager and uses mousePosition for input position, so it also does not work with Pen anymore.

It seems that anything that relies on position does not work anymore.

Bug Report filed: CASE IN-6437

Thanks in advance,
    Fernando

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  2. fcloss

fcloss

Please @Rene-Damm, can you help me? I believe you are aware of this incorrect behavior on Input Manager.