Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug: The profiler has run out of samples for this frame....

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by jeffweber, Jan 3, 2016.

1. jeffweber

jeffweber

When running in the editor, I'm frequently getting this in the console window:

The interesting thing is I don't have the profiler open.

-Jeff

2. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Same for me, I had opened report 757716

3. mh114

mh114

Just FYI, I've been getting this in 5.2, probably in 5.1 as well. Maybe even earlier, so it's not a new problem.

4. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I just got a reply that QA could not reproduce it. Did any of you find a way yet when this occurs? I will keep an eye open for the exact conditions now but any help is appreciated.

5. ForceX

ForceX

I know I've had this pop-up when I have the profiler running and I am dragging objects around in the scene view while in play mode.

6. jeffweber

jeffweber

I've not once opened the profiler since updating to 5.4 beta and still I see this quite often.

7. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

I see that often, too. Always thought it has something to do with "started profiling, closed profiler without stopping profiling" so I thought "my fault".

8. Hivemind9000

Hivemind9000

Getting same in 5.3.1f1.

Happens when I open the profiler then close the window without stopping recording. Seems to keep happening until I restart Unity.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    axuan likes this.
  9. Stardog

Stardog

Same here.

10. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@Hivemind9000 's report is identical to what I'm experiencing. It looks/feels like the recording continues in the background when you close the profiler window and that error, once it starts, continues until you restart Unity. A possible solution might simply be to enforce recording to stop when you close the profiler window but I'll admit I'm not 100% sure I haven't seen this even after stopping recording, the trouble is that quite a bit of time needs to pass before it shows up. And opening the profiler window again almost increases the chances of this occurring. It "feels" like it's then running multiple profilers - even though only one profiler window is open.

11. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Fix is in the works and in-bound for 5.4.

Zyxil and ImpossibleRobert like this.
  12. jeffweber

jeffweber

Awesome. Thanks! Been driving me crazy!

13. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

1.Also make it not record automatically. It should only record when the record button is pressed. Right now I am experiencing the bug and it keeps enabling itself even when i disable it.

2.Have you fixed the bug where the docs say the C# versions aren't available?
    3.Have you fixed the duplicating UI Objects changes its transform X,Y,Z bug?
    4.Have you fixed where in the docs searching online causes an empty screen appears until objects are loaded? Would be nice to put a "Searching" string to avoid people thinking their result failed since there can be a good 10 second wait sometimes.
    5.Have you changed the floating point system in Unity so it avoids losing precision all the time and outputting 10 digits? This would also fix gaps in walls when level editing and snapping.
    6. Have you fixed the "move up" or "move down" a component breaking prefab issue?
    7. Have you enabled a left to right scroll bar in the hierarchy tab. Sometimes my hierarchy is pretty deep and objects go out of view-able range since theirs no way to scroll.
    8. Have you added the ability to right click and cut/copy the name of a gameobject cause they are greyed out. I sometimes can't be bothered to use the keyboard shortcut's and they work.
    9. Has the vertex snapping issue in Unity been fixed where hidden gameobjects are still being snapped to?
    10. When the profile is recording it usually goes in increments but if you drag it all of a sudden it records seamlessly....
    11. Has the UI being set to screen space overlay 100X scale been fixed?
    12. Has the - and + button for adding a condition for example in Mecanim been fixed? The Minus button often won't respond until clicked many times or the plus is clicked.

I got more but I don't want to overload y'all. I am expecting big things from 5.4, I can't stay with 4.6 forever just because of the beast lightmapping system. Also 4.6 Mecanim is useless compared to 5.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    landon912 and Stardog like this.
  14. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I bug-reported this issue a while ago as:
    (Case 704398) Unity5: Cannot turn off Profiler

Would be nice if it can be fixed too, while you're at it.

15. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Unfortunately, this list of isues not useful when glommed up this way. Additionally, we are chasing pre-existing bugs. However this forum is more scoped to new issues in 5.4 to make sure we're not adding any more in process of fixing older things or making things faster. (Yes, fixes can break things). If you have bug #s with clear repro steps or projects, that would help immensely to track.

16. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

It's on the team's list. Unsure when they'll get to it, but it's there.

17. terravires

terravires

Almost August and 5.4 still has this bug for me. :mad:

18. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

As with most of the main features in Unity you are probably going to have to find a workaround, just deal with it, or use an alternative system. What's really weird with bugs like the GUI Scale bug is that Unity says it's fixed but people then say it's not fixed in the next Unity version or something, it blows my mind lol. I am always afraid to look under the hood of programs but something tells me it might be because of the mess that is C++ the engine is made from....

19. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

If 50 people say they have a problem but only 2 are reporting a proper bug report then the bug get fixed for the 2 test cases there is a good chance that some other factors that did not get met in the test case procure the error to.
    I know its not always easy to recreate the problem in a small test project or get the time to try it.

20. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

21. terravires

terravires

The one from the OP.

"The profiler has run out of samples for this frame. This frame will be skipped. Increase the sample limit using Profiler.maxNumberOfSamplesPerFrame"

Once you open the profiler, run it for a bit. You can never turn it off. If you click the record button and/or clear and close the window, the console still spams this message until you restart the editor.

Edit: So this project was created in 5.4b25, upgraded to 5.4RC1, which had the bug. I updated to 5.4f2 and now the editor just freezes up 100% when in the profiler. Not always, but about half the time when expanding deep profile entries. Must be a repeat of this bug? #758264

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  22. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

So searching our bug database, we don't have anything open because almost all of them seem to lack a situation we've been able to reproduce thus far. Perhaps it's some race condition? So, from your description, it's about as clear as other steps we've had from other reports. Can you get more specific on things like "run it for a bit" ?

Could you file a new report and post the # here with clear steps?

Also notifying the team in case they do know anything else.

23. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Hm, you can create a dump via Task Manager of it hung, but to be safe would prefer if you can create a new report with your project?