Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

BUG: Specular Highlights on Mobile

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by luho383, Feb 9, 2015.

1. luho383

luho383

Hi

attached is an Image that shows the error on Mobile Devices.
    The Image is using OpenGL ES3.0 (iOS Metal does have the same problem) and a Standard Shader.(Specular Setup)
    I think the Render Pipeline uses BRDF2_Unity_PBS for this setup.
    What you can see is the Specular Reflection of a Point Light.

I have done some research and this line does produce the artifacts:
    Code (csharp):
    2. float specular = ((specularPower + 1) * pow (nh, specularPower)) / (unity_LightGammaCorrectionConsts_8 * invV * invF + 1e-4f);
    more specific this part:
    Code (csharp):
    2. pow (nh, specularPower)
    Replacing this with GPU approximation pow(a,b)=exp2(log2(a)*b) does not resolve this. I think the GPU is using it anyway.
    The problem is that when specularPower gets a high value (problem starts at 0.5 roughness or so (specularPower > 1000)) the result of
    pow(nh, specularPower) is not "defined". Sometimes it works, sometimes you get a value of zero. I do not know if it is nh dependent.
    I changed to code to use floats instead of half but that does not make a difference. Is the precision hardcoded in Unity for Mobile? As I would increase this to find out if this causes the problem.

Can I set the float precision (lowp, mediump, highp) for the builtin shaders? Or better would be a fix from the Unity developers as this happens on Android and iOS, so this should be a problem for many Users.

Thanks in advance

Lutz

Attached Files: