Search Unity

Bug? Rotation on object

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by BroncoBilli, Mar 21, 2020.

1. BroncoBilli

BroncoBilli

Think I found a bug... maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm having trouble w/ rotations & timelines...

* Put an avatar in the scene. You know, a human model... Have it face the camera by rotating Y by 180...
    * put an Animator on the avatar object. Check "apply root motion" (because I don't know what it does), update mode = normal, culling mode = cull update transforms
    * Put an object in the scene (call it TheDirector) and put a PlayableDirector on it. Set the Playable of the PD to be a Timeline you create.
    * In the timeline, make an animation track. Set it's animator to the Avatar's animator.
    * Import a Mixamo "Idle" animation. Set it to bake all three items into the animation, it's an idle so this should be ok.
    * Click on TheDirector object and click on the timeline in the timeline window. Notice model now spins away by 180 degrees, as if the avatar's rotation of 180 is no longer applying! The Timeline's animation should be applying it's rotations as offsets to whatever the Avatar is currently doing, right?

Is that a bug?!

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

If you want to use the scene transform as the starting position/rotation of the character, set the animation track Track Offset Mode to scene offsets.

Note that this will apply in playmode as well - the character will start playing from where-ever the current position/rotation is. (similar to an animator controller)

TrackOffset mode is used to place the character exactly where he should be every time the timeline is played. (He will teleport to a fixed location, which more useful for cinematic timelines).

3. BroncoBilli

BroncoBilli

Dang! Nicely done. Was wondering where this setting was.