Search Unity

[Bug] ProBuilder meshes not editable

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Adam_Streck, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Adam_Streck

Adam_Streck

I have multiple ProBuilder objects in my project. Now I noticed that some of them are broken. I have three behaviours:
    • The object works as expected (about 50 % of objects)
    • The object is not editable. No error present. If I try to export it or make it into a prefab, all the geometry disappears and the object has size 0,0,0 and complaints about missing normals and UVs. If I reload the scene the object re-appears.
    • The same as above, but the object disappears as soon as I select the object in inspector.
    Unity 2018.3.1f1 with ProBuilder 4.0.2 .

EDIT: Edited the ProBuilder ver. no.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Adam! Can you double check that PB version for me... we are 4.0.2 currently, maybe you meant that, or 3.0.8?

Also, at what point did the objects become broken? Was there a major change (like an upgrade of PB, or another tool, or Unity)? Thanks!

3. Adam_Streck

Adam_Streck

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. I meant 4.0.2 . I observed it at 3.0.8 before and tried update to see if it would resolve the issue. Somehow the two numbers mixed in my brain.

I can't unfortunately say at which point exactly it stopped working, since I was not touching those for a while. I can go back to a version where the meshes still worked but I would have very hard time trying to track exactly where it happened.

Is there another information I could provide? I can try to make a project with the broken file only if that helps (will need a bit of time)?

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

No worries! :) Thanks!

Sure, if you could submit an official bug report with the project that'd be great! You can use the "Help > Submit a Bug" option in Unity, from the Project, and it should take care of most the work...that'll get us all the info, so you don't have to dig around/etc.

5. Adam_Streck

Adam_Streck

Ok, I managed to make a example case project (the repo has 40GB normally that's why it's difficult to seek versions explicitly).

Case 1120730

If you figure out a way how to fix them in the current version I'd be super happy, it would be a pain to have import-export all the objects from older version of the project.

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Ok great, thanks! I forgot to mention- have you tried using the "Tools > ProBuilder > Repair > Rebuild All ProBuilder Objects and/ or Convert to ProBuilder 4" menu actions?

7. Adam_Streck

Adam_Streck

No problem, thanks for looking into that.

For the repair, the behaviour is the same:
    - If I do Convert to ProBuilder 4.0.2 it launches the utility with the message "ProBuilder is up to date".
    - If I click any other option in the Repair tab (Rebuild, Remove triangles, etc..) the objects dissapear (same behaviour as above).

8. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Good to know, ok. In the example project, what steps did you take to create that?

Also, ugly workaround but might help temporarily- have you tried removing all missing/PB scripts from an object, then use "ProBuilderize" to convert it?

9. Adam_Streck

Adam_Streck

To make the bug report I created a new project, copy&pasted a single scene from my project and removed anything else but the ProBuilder objects.

I tried also the approach with removing the Pro Builder Mesh script and putting it back, but the ProBuilderize button does not do anything on the object afterwards (no script created, no error written to console either).

10. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Ok, thanks. So when you clicked "ProBuilderize", there were zero PB scripts on the object, right? Does it work on a standard Unity cube?

11. Adam_Streck

Adam_Streck

So when you clicked "ProBuilderize", there were zero PB scripts on the object, right?

Yes - before I remove it, the button is grayed out. But once I remove the script the geometry disappears:

Before:
    upload_2019-1-30_20-48-32.png
    After:
    upload_2019-1-30_20-47-23.png

Does it work on a standard Unity cube?

Yes, no issue there.

Attached Files:

12. ChaosResolution

ChaosResolution

@gabrielw_unity This sounds like the same issue I mentioned here. I tested a standard Unity cube and can confirm it does work without issue there. Any other mesh seems incompatible since 4.0.3.

13. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

In your before image- ok, I thought it had a "missing script" error, but that looks like a fine and healthy PB Mesh script. I'll dig into the bug report from here out, to avoid confusion. Thanks for the extra info, also @ChaosResolution !

14. Adam_Streck

Adam_Streck

Update on the bug report: "We have been able to reproduce this bug and have sent it for resolution with our developers."

15. jkh0208

jkh0208

I'm still having this issue with the most current version. After using the merge function, I lose the ability to select edges, faces or vertices.