Search Unity

BUG : PolyShape all broken

Discussion in 'World Building' started by corjn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. corjn

corjn

Hey, just noticed I can't draw Polyshapes on my terrain. I'm using a custom shader with amplify.

Also noticed that when I create new points in my shape it goes random 1 out of 4 times I do it if there is nothing below (I'm a massive user of PolyShape and it was not doing that before pb 4.0)

And the ctrl Z seems randomly as well, especially whith the bug I just mentionned above.

Using unity 2018.3.4f1 and PB 4.0.3

Thanks,

Jonathan

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Jonathan! Thanks for the report, confirmed and ticketed here (the terrain being ignored).

Could you describe the "goes random" issue a bit more? Thanks!

3. corjn

corjn

Hey Gabriel, thanks for the feedback :)

Well, I tried to find a pattern to repro and I think I got it. It seems that all the problems mentionned above are connected. I made a gif :

https://media.giphy.com/media/cCamHa4ewoJQpWNz8J/giphy.gif

So here I made a concrete deckchair. Below it, the yellow/light brown sand is the terrain in my scene.

Let's decompose this step by step from start of the gif to finish :

---I drag a vertice already created : working fine.

---Next, I create a new vertice. I can't drag it right away and need to unclick and reclic the vertice to drag it (not happening with a surface below on the current version, and don't think I ever faced this issue with older versions of PB.)

---Next, I try again to create a new vertice and dragging it right away. then the bad bug occurs (randomly occurs 1 time out of 4) : The newly created vertice seems to be snapping on the terrain behind the shape. Weird, knowing that the terrain is usually ignored.

Correct me if i'm wrong but for me the main design feature of Polyshape is to make all flat shapes for extruding them, with all the vertices on a same plane. And here this principle of having everything on the same plane seems broken.

---Then I hit ctrl Z to cancel the bug, but now it's the Polyshape editing curve that is all glitched.

So maybe it needs more tests but my first guess would be that it's a terrain compatibility issue.

Edit : Made some more tests and maybe it's not all connected to the terrain. When the "bad bug" occurs, the vertice is actually not snapping on the terrain. It just goes randomly far away.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Thanks for the steps!

I've tried further and can't repro at all, still. However, I can confirm that Terrain is not compatible (as in, you can't create polyshapes off of terrain surfaces), and I also managed to track down an exact repro for a semi-related bug with Polyshape, so good things did result :)

Do you have any kind of snapping functionality enabled? I'm really not sure why that Polyshape point would try to snap over to a far-off point like that.

corjn likes this.
  5. corjn

corjn

Well I usually have always ProGrids on when I work, but I just tried a repro without it to be sure and it's still doing it.

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Any chance this was also miraculously fixed by 18.3.5? :) I still can't repro at all here, sorry!

7. corjn

corjn

Hey, got back on this, still is an issue in 18.3.5 :

I made repro on a clean project so you can repro it too

-Create a project in unity 2018.3.5 with probuilder 4.0.3.

-Make a random terrain

-Do like me in this video :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mURS8bPDnvKyWQnxkYZ0Hg4zMuRO_wX8/view?usp=sharing

(On the video, I first click + drag, then at 1 min I do click, release, then drag. And at the end of the video I click and drag one last time)

-Click + drag = will randomly try to go behind the mesh far away.
    -Simple click to create the vertice, release, then drag = never had the glitch

So, not a big issue as it can be "solved" once you get how to avoid the problem, it's more a ux bug at this point.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    gabrielw_unity likes this.