Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

BUG - Moving an empty directory breaks everything

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Jichaels, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Jichaels

Jichaels

So, after months of fixing missing references to prefabs, scripts and whatnot, we finally found a way to reproduce this nonsense.

Go to your assets, create a new folder, name it whatever you want. Now in the collab tab, you can see that its .meta file got added and you're able to push it. BUT if you move this folder anywhere, it now exists in your project but IT DOES NOT SHOW UP ON THE CHANGES SECTION OF COLLAB. Now you can push, someone else can sync, but both project won't be the same. If you then do anything inside these folders, all references to anything will break because the people that sync will have new generated guid.

How can this be a thing after years of collab being out of preview and tons of people using it ?

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Jichaels, thank you for bringing this terrible bug to our attention. I was able to reproduce this bug on my end and filed a bug for it (the link should work within the next hour after I post). This bug was a regression introduced with 2019.4 and we'll be looking into adding a fix for it soon. Thank you again for telling us about this bug and I'm sorry for the headaches its caused.

3. Jichaels

Jichaels

Thanks for your reply !

However, I'm a bit sad to hear that this is a new/regression bug, as it implies there is something else that causes us so much trouble to work with collab. We have guid changing on some project and not other, that breaks every link to any scripts, prefab ref or whatnot attached.

Do you have any idea what could cause a guid to be rebuilt on a project ? That's the main cause of all the troubles we have I think.

Thanks

EDIT : We also have this error on almost every single publish :

[Collab] CreateRevisionValidator::MissingFileError: The following hashes were not found as uploaded files: ["46c8118760256d44c817f38a8cfac297"]. Please email collabsupport@unity3d.com

Hashes being different each time, and sometimes multiple are listed

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm sorry that you've been having regular guid changes on some of your projects while using Collab. I'm not super familiar with all of the ways that an asset's guid can be modified, but I will ask the team and update you when I have more info. Do you happen to have any error messages around the guids changing that you could share with me?

As for the MissingFileError that you keep seeing, this is an error message that we need to update so that it's clearer. This error pops up if some part of an asset was modified while in the middle of a publish, which results in its hash being different than when it started. The workaround for this error is to try to publish again. The changes should go through on a second attempt.

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Could you tell me which versions of Unity and Collab you have run into these guid changing issues with?

6. Jichaels

Jichaels

No error, no message, nothing. Just the guid being rebuilt and all ref breaking without a single warning.

Yeah that's what we do, but we do not change anything after pressing Publish, and it still happens almost every time, there is definitely something wrong going on.

It's been happening since like 2018.xxx and continue today in 2020.1.4, collab always up to date in the package manager.

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

That's very bizarre. It shouldn't be coming up every time you publish.

Would you be willing to share your project with us so that we could use it for testing? We can make a copy of it and try to replicate the issue on our end. We just need your permission before we can do that.

8. Jichaels

Jichaels

Yeah sure, if you can do it without me having to strip a bunch of things etc., you can try whatever you want if that can help us/others. Sorry for the late reply

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

No problem on the late reply. Yes, we can make a copy of the whole project so you don't need to do anything on your end. I just need you to message me your project's UPID so that we can make a copy.