Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Bug?] Maybe YZX swizzle and ZXY swizzle are exchanged wrongly, aren't they?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by RyotaMurohoshi, Jan 6, 2017.

1. RyotaMurohoshi

RyotaMurohoshi

I have a question about Grid Component's Swizzle property.

From Swizzle description at reference guide https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fGYUBPJrJknCsYbAl4z3cOP8x6kealwjZfa2DwcXSgA/edit

> Swizzles the cell positions to other axii. For Example. In XZY mode, the Y and Z coordinates will be swapped, so an input Y coordinate will map to Z instead and vice versa.

In my understanding,

* XYZ swizzle means that tiles on XY plane with Z normal axis. Used with XY tilemap orientation.
    * YXZ swizzle means that tiles on YX plane with Z normal axis. Used with YX tilemap orientation.
    * XZY swizzle means that tiles on XY plane with Y normal axis. Used with XZ tilemap orientation.
    * ZYX swizzle means that tiles on ZY plane with X normal axis. Used with ZY tilemap orientation.

But, unlike my expectation YZX swizzle and ZXY swizzle behaviours are

* YZX swizzle setting, Grid plane is XZ plane with Y normal axis.
    * ZXY swizzle setting, Grid plane is ZY plane with X normal axis.

Is my understanding wrong? Or Grid Component bug?

Nelxi likes this.
  2. RyotaMurohoshi

RyotaMurohoshi

3. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

The Grid swizzle just means transposing the output from the layout (logical cell-space) to local-space. It has nothing to do with the TileMap as the Grid component isn't even aware of the TileMap's presence. I assume you already know this but it's very important to state.

The Grid doesn't have planes either, even the Rect layout is 3D so it's effectively a Box volume layout however you can think of planes if you use Cell Position Z = 0 all the time so only using 2 axis.

XYZ simply means no transposition is done so the output of the layout stays the same.

YZX means that the X is output as the Z axis, Y is output in the X axis and Z is output in the Y axis. In other words, the Y is position in X, Z is positioned in Y and X is positioned in Z.

A cell layout output of (10,20,0) with a swizzle of YZX will output (20,0,10)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017