Search Unity

Question (Bug?) LocalizeStringEvent CANNOT find any table entry

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by Reimirno7, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Reimirno7

Reimirno7

So, I just upgraded my project from unity 2020.3LTS to 2021.3 LTS (Luckily nothing much get broken except for a few URP materials).

I was using Localization 1.2.1 in both 2020.3 LTS and 2021.3 LTS.

However, in 2021.3 LTS now we have a new GUI for selecting table entries like this:
    upload_2022-4-22_12-25-8.png

But as shown in the picture here, it does not seem to pick up any of tables or entries.

It worked fine in 2020.3 LTS:
    upload_2022-4-22_12-32-59.png

I tried rebuilt addressables but that do not help either.

The "Table Collection" dropdown can still pick up all my tables though.

Please help. I don't know how to fix this and now I have to turn inspector to DEBUG mode and manually type my table entries.

2. Reimirno7

Reimirno7

Also, in 2021.s LTS I can see lots' of UI drawing errors
    Snipaste_2022-04-22_12-39-09.png

3. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

You need to start typing something to see the searched entries
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.localization@1.2/manual/SearchFilters.html

Also the errors are a Unity bug. You can rollback the version without the issue 2021.2.14f1 or wait until the fix lands in the 2021.3 patch. It is also safe to ignore the error message.

4. Reimirno7

Reimirno7

Oh my. Can't believe that I didn't even try typing into the box...

Also thank you for the info for the bug! I will be waiting for the patch then.

For people wondering the same thing (probably not many lol): So this is the new Unity Search in 2021 versions (previously available as the Quick Search package, I believe) and you need to type into it for indexed results to come out. You can also disable this and go back to the old-style localization dropdown by going to Preference/Localization and uncheck all search pickers.

5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

You are not the first one to think it's broken. We are looking at improving this in the future.

Reimirno7 likes this.
  6. Reimirno7

Reimirno7

Great to hear!

7. CDF

CDF

+1 for thinking this was broken

horatiu665 and karl_jones like this.
  8. ChampieRTH

ChampieRTH

FWIW Looks like using double quotes empty string
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ""
    works as a wildcard for showing all strings

9. horatiu665

horatiu665

Just wasted another hour on this. I would expect it to show all the options if I didn't type. It would be consistent with the rest of the editor functionality. I don't like using the new Search currently... I don't trust it, and it breaks exactly when you're forced to use it.

Also, Preferences > Search doesn't let me disable the new search for LocalizeSpriteEvent, only for LocalizeStringEvent. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, or why would someone want two options for that. I'm guessing it's because LocalizeStringEvent has a custom editor in the Localization package, whereas the LocalizedAsset / LocalizedSprite doesn't.

sugekoma likes this.
  10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We have a fix for 1.5 so that it will show all entries when the string Is empty.

For LocalizeSpriteEvent you should be able to disable the Asset Search Picker option in the Localization preferences screen.