Search Unity

[Bug] Hub does not ask me if I want to install a missing version

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Baste, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Baste

Baste

We updated our Unity version to 2017.4.4f1 recently. On of our coworkers came by and asked if he should update, so I had him install the hub. When he clicked the project, he got the "version mismatch" menu, but the only choices were to open it in a version he had installed. No option to install the missing version was presented.

Deozaan likes this.
  2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi Baste,

Currently, Hub is capable of downloading the latest minor version for each major version (e.g. latest 2017.2, latest 2018.1, etc.)

In case that you want to add a specific version of the editor, you need to download and install it and locate it through the hub. This process will be improved in our next updates.

Best,
    Afshin

Eater_Games likes this.
  3. Baste

Baste

The goal is that it will be able to download a project's version, regardless of if that's the latest version or not, right?

Deozaan likes this.
  4. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Currently, it is not the case.
    For future, it is still an open discussion. I will explain to our product team your use-case.

Best,
    Afshin

5. Baste

Baste

I think it should be pretty clear by now that a hub that insists on only handling the latest version of Unity isn't a very useful product.

The documentation states: "The Unity Hub provides a convenient new way to manage your Unity projects and installations". If I have to open the hub, realize that it doesn't support the version I need, and then go to the version archive, that's not convenient!

Together with the hub not managing to uninstall versions not installed through the hub, new versions arriving several days late to the hub, and the change where projectversion.txt doesn't get updated when you open a project in a new version, you've managed to make version management less convenient than before the hub existed.

boolean01 and Eater_Games like this.