Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[bug] High CPU usage

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by MaskedMouse, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

I've tried the Unity Hub 0.12.0.0, but after opening my project, the Unity Editor (2017.3.0p3) takes 25 ~ 40% CPU time constantly. When I open my project with the unity exe myself this does not seem to happen.

So for some reason the project opened with Unity Hub just hogs CPU time.

sattawat2000to likes this.
  2. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting, we will investigate it.

3. rcenzo

rcenzo

Any news on this? I'm on 0.13.0.0, and also seeing high idle CPU usage in my Unity editor for some reason.

4. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    It is under our plan, but we are currently focusing on fixing issues encountered.
    Meanwhile, we are being mindful of CPU usage as we make adjustments.
    In 0.13.0, some improvements been made.

As for Unity Editor CPU usage, may I ask the editor version? Would running the editor independently from Unity Hub makes a different?

5. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Unity 2017.3.1 - just independently I get 0-3% just the usual idle. When using UnityHub to open my project for me with 2017.3.1 25-40%

6. Xepherys

Xepherys

For what it's worth, I'm using Hub 0.15.0 and Unity 2018.1.0b11 and am running into very similar issues, not just with idle but upon project opening and occasionally with changes, the CPU usage for Unity spikes to 100% and remains there for lengthy periods of time making Unity unusable until it calms back down.

RumbleXMX2 likes this.
  7. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

We will investigate on it
    Thanks for the info

8. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

I think it is because of the HUB Health request that is constantly running in the background.
    If I open the Unity project with UnityHub and then close UnityHub (closing it from the taskbar). Then in Unity I get the warning "HUB health request failed, Reason: Failed to connect to localhost port 39000: Connection refused (0)." spammed 15 times. But the CPU usage drops to the idle 0 ~ 3%.

So my guess is, is that there is something in the HUB Health check that is constantly eating CPU time while the Unity Hub is active.
    I'm not sure why that health check is even there, but it sure doesn't have to be run every frame (which I think it is at this moment).

9. Baste

Baste

Why is the editor communicating with the hub at all? I can see it creating a connection when you try to open a different project, but other than that it shouldn't be necessary.

10. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

thats what I've been wondering as well. Why does the editor need to check whether the UHUB is running?

11. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

UnityHub 0.16.0 launching Unity 2018.1.0f1 same problem.
    Once Unity is launched I close UnityHub, the CPU usage goes down.
    I'd really love to use the UnityHub but it is unacceptable to have a constant CPU usage of 25+% in Unity.

12. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

While currently we have yet reproduced the issue, if the high CPU usage is indicated on the Editor side, it would be likely tie to Editor version. If any improvement is observed, it would likely be on a different Unity Editor version.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

13. peterc

peterc

I'm having a similar issue. I find Unity Hub very useful, but it's taking up anywhere from 30% to 50% of my CPU usage even without any instances of Unity itself being open. I now wake up to find my laptop warm. :)

activity-monitor.jpg

14. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,

We are sorry for the situation, and I must apologize that I have not yet been able to reproduce the high CPU usage.
    This is important to us, any info you may provide would be valuable to us.

Thanks,

Joe

15. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

Just to throw my hat into the ring I am not seeing this issue:

I have an i3-6320. (2 Cores, 4 Threads, 3.9GHz)

16. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

The latest version of Unityhub has solved the problem I had.
    So the bug was in the Unity Hub (I have not changed to a newer version of the Editor so). After a Unity Hub update I tried again and the problem is no longer there.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  17. Bamboy

Bamboy

I'm not getting very high cpu usage from Unity Hub, but all three exe stay open even after I close both Unity and the Hub window. Why doesn't closing Unity Hub window also kill the exe tasks? I'd much prefer it did, as I use my computer for other intensive tasks.

My Unity Hub cpu usage can get up to 10%, even when everything Unity related is closed. It's kinda annoying.

Using Hub v0.18.1, and currently am mostly working with Unity 2017.4.3f1
    Processor: AMD FX-6300 Six Core, 3.5GHz
    RAM: 16gb

Are there any logs somewhere that would be useful to help the devs improve?

18. Deozaan

Deozaan

Are you sure you're closing it? By default it just minimizes to the tray when you try to close it. You have to right-click the tray icon and select "Quit Unity Hub" to actually close it.

19. Bamboy

Bamboy

Why minimize though? I hate programs that do that.

20. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Did anyone figure this out? I have the same issue, with 25% cpu usage from Unity hub 2.3.2 on Mac and Editor 2019.3.11. When I "close" hub (which minimized it) the cpu usage goes down.

This also seemed to prevent sleep mode on my machine.

21. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Ever since they fixed it, I haven't had an issue with it anymore
    Is it 25% CPU usage without any unity instance open? so just the hub?
    if it is in combination of an instance of 2019.3.11, could you try installing 2019.4 LTS and try again?

22. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Thanks. I will try later in 2019.4, but "closing" the hub so it gets minimized helps, so there's something going on while it's open.

23. wayneh654

wayneh654

Hi all. Latest version of Hub and Unity (2020.1.13f1) as of 2020.11.22 (YY/MM/DD). And I see high CPU while in the editor and doing nothing. I am using Bolt if this is creating CPU runs.
    My CPU fan is spinning loud all the time with Unity taking 24-45% CPU use - it's kind of a pain to put up with and my poor computer having to work so hard on... well nothing.

Is Unity taking CPU use for other things I'm not aware off, eg doing some bit coin - LOL. Make you wounder.

24. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

You can profile the editor itself to see what is taking a lot of CPU time.
    This thread is related to Unity Hub. Which this shouldn't be the issue anymore.

25. Turboloser

Turboloser

Unfortunately this Bug still seams to exist. Using Unity 2020.2.1f1 and Hub 2.4.2, causing the Unity-Editor Task to keep the CPU at 40+% while idle. As soon as you close the Unity Hub, things are back to normal. This only occurs on my Laptop, while Desktop with same Unity- and Hub-Version is acting normal.

26. Ali_V_Quest

Ali_V_Quest

for me, it was caused by a Favorites editor plugin, I used the profiler & noticed the editor is running at 200 fps, once I closed that favorites plugin window, the frame rate went to 60 fps & the unity cpu usage went down to 0-1% ( down from 25% )

- I'm guessing some custom editor plugins might be coded in a way that keeps the editor buys
    - try closing the 3rd party editor window & notice how it affects the profiler fps & the windows cpu
    - ( also use the profiler first to see if the editor is running at a very high frame rate ( like a 100 or 200 )

hope this helps

27. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Hey @slake_it - please, don't bump/necro old threads.
    Thank you for sharing your solution in this thread, and as long it has been very helpful I'll close it for now.

If anyone has issues after trying what is advised in this thread, please make a new thread saying you've done this and also provide the logs, screenshots and any other information that would help us! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.