Search Unity

Question Bug? Generated new plane, player falling through...

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Micah_GRPGs, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Micah_GRPGs

Micah_GRPGs

Hi out there!

I'm very new to Unity. So I figured I'd go through some of the tutorials, learn it the right way, and build a skill base.

Using the 3D Game Kit, I have reached the point where I added a new plane via the ProBuilder tool. Generated the plane without issue following the instructions to the letter.

However, on entering play mode to test it, player character falls through the plane and dies.

Note #1: The plane created for you at scene creation works as expected. After checking components in the Inspector, I ensured that all components of my generated plane were identical or as similar as possible to the one provided.

Note #2: I am using Unity 2020.2.5f1c1* <DX11>.

I know this is probably a simple issue; but being new, any help would be very welcome! Thanks!

2. ArshakKroyan

ArshakKroyan

@GreatRPGs Are you sure there is a collider on your plane?
    I assume your character has physics enabled on it.

3. Micah_GRPGs

Micah_GRPGs

@ArshakKroyan: Thanks for the reply! Yes and yes to both those questions.

I actually did resolve it. And, as I expected, it was something ridiculously simple and somewhat embarrassing. :confused:

After coming back to it with fresh eyes, I found that on creation, the plane's Layer was set to "Default" instead of "Environment". It simply didn't strike me as problematic at first. Oh well, newbie problems, I guess!

As a note, the tutorial doesn't mention anything about changing layers to make it work right.

ArshakKroyan likes this.