Search Unity

Feedback [Bug/Feature Request] Multiple 2D colliders on the same Z axis trigger incorrectly

Discussion in 'Physics' started by RidgeWare, Mar 20, 2019.

1. RidgeWare

RidgeWare

Currently, OnMouse events work perfectly in 2D as long as colliders never overlap, but in isometric games it's very common for sorted/layered sprites to overlap while on the same Z axis.

It's at this point the OnMouse events become unusable - since the collider which the mouse click triggers is often visually behind another object - and incorrectly fires the OnMouseEnter/Down/etc.

There is a workaround of sorts; Ditch OnMouse completely & fire a RayCastAll and then sort the colliders it hits by the Y position of the transform. The lowest Y position gameobject then does whatever code you tell it to do. Which seems to work - but is far from ideal and can get rather messy in code, since you miss out on the instant benefits of OnMouse or OnPointerDown. Plus it adds a whole bunch of needless processing.

So I believe there's a reasonable request here for some kind of new built-in '2DMultipleColliderMouseOver' event method - or possibly even a change to how the renderer/collider shares information between eachother in 2D, so a collider always knows it's 'on top visually', if not physically.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    suzums and kcfos like this.
  2. RidgeWare

RidgeWare

Can someone at least acknowledge this is a problem? I don't expect a solution straight away, but it would be nice to at least get a small response from a member of the Unity team.

Having a sorting layer system which is fundamentally broken for detecting pointers over those sorted objects is a pretty big issue for making 2D games.

I was told by a moderator this was the correct folder to raise it in.