Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Bug] Does collaborate not version .meta files?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by AcidArrow, Mar 8, 2018.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I have a bunch of animations and characters in fbx files.

After messing around with avatar definitions and muscle settings and animation settings, I committed my .meta files. After a few hours, I noticed that my changes were for the worse.

Don't worry I said, Collaborate to the rescue!

Only... Collaborate doesn't version .meta changes. (or at least, the website won't allow me to see them)

Which I guess makes sense, but when sometimes they hold important things, maybe I should be able to roll those changes back?

Or at least, externalise avatar definitions and animation settings so they can be versioned?

In the end, I undid the changes manually, luckily it wasn't too bad. But I could have like changed a ton of settings with no way to remember the previous values, and collaborate would be unable to help me.

Am I missing something here?

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @AcidArrow! Although the .meta files aren't explicitly listed on the website, if you attempt to download a particular version of any asset from there then it will also download its accompanying .meta file along with it. Did you try downloading an asset from the website and not see the .meta files with them? They should be versioned by Collab.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It does, but when I click on a file to see its history, it's only showing me the times I actually changed the actual file, which was many months ago.

In the mean time, I've been adjusting the animation settings, so I've been making changes only to the .meta files.

I mean, this is my timeline (I just did a couple of minor animation setting changes and commits as a test).

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 08.39.14.png

So the meta file changed, just now. Let's say I messed up with test #2 and want to roll back the meta to test #1 (or a change I did in the last couple of days, or weeks).

I go to the file:

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 08.40.01.png

I only see history for the times where the actual file changed. So I can get that file and the accompanying .meta, but it would be a .meta from 7 months ago, which is of no use to me.

You see what I'm getting at?

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! This is definitely not intended behavior. For some reason our Dashboard does not display meta changes along with asset changes when viewing an asset's commit history. I went ahead and filed a bug for this and passed it along to the web team.

What you can do in the meantime is inside of Unity, use the Collab History window to go back to the commit before you made the unintended changes to an animation. After you copy out the animation's meta file then you can Restore to your latest commit and paste that meta file back into the project without losing any of your other changes. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and we'll be looking to correct this soon.

5. ArcticPinou

ArcticPinou

I know that's an old thread, but I'm having the same issue in Unity 2020.3.2f1 atm. I have a .png sprite with a rig on it, and the .meta stores the 2D rig infos like bones, vertices, etc. I have no way to see the history of that .meta file. It only shows the 2 times our team edited the .png sprite.

Attached Files: