Search Unity

[BUG?] Culling called even if disabled everywhere

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by FabrizioSpadaro, Nov 14, 2019.

1. FabrizioSpadaro

FabrizioSpadaro

Hello everyone,
    As the title suggests, I disabled Occlusion Culling in every camera, but inside the profiler I still see the culling being called, do you guys have any ideas?

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

That is probably frustum culling

FabrizioSpadaro likes this.
  3. FabrizioSpadaro

FabrizioSpadaro

Oh, yeah, that can be it.. do you know any way to disable/inhibit it?

4. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

You should not. Then unity would try to render meshes behind camera also

5. FabrizioSpadaro

FabrizioSpadaro

The problem is that it's a 2D game so I don't need it at all

6. kdgalla

kdgalla

Frustum culling still works in 2D. It will cull anything that is not on the screen. Why do want to disable it? Generally speaking, rendering absolutely everything in the scene will take a lot longer than culling it.

7. bgolus

bgolus

There's no way to disable frustum culling apart from manually rendering everything using command buffers and not using any built in rendering components.

If you have a lot of time spent in culling, you may want to look into manually disabling objects outside of the screen view. That'll reduce the culling time as it has fewer objects it needs to cull, but may increase your overall frame time since enabling and disabling objects can be expensive. So you don't want to do this often, and you don't necessarily want to disable a lot of objects at once (it'll create a spike in the CPU time).

8. FabrizioSpadaro

FabrizioSpadaro

I see, would it be a good idea to subdivide the scene in quads and put all the objects as children of that quads, so I'll just disable enable quads when the player is inside the bb of a quad?

9. bgolus

bgolus

Yep, that's a valid way to handle it. Though you need to take into account what the screen can see vs just being the player position. You can either have really big bounds for each quad that's roughly the size of the screen, or compare the screen bounds with the quad bounds directly. The later option is nice because it means zooming in and out, as well as ultra wide screen monitors are better supported without needing to change scene data, and what is or isn't in view can be more tightly culled.

10. FabrizioSpadaro

FabrizioSpadaro

Yeah sure, I was thinking to take the camera FOV into consideration, thanks for the advice!