Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Bug] Collab doesn't like hidden meta files?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by JohnnyFactor, Sep 13, 2018.

1. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

I switched from Plastic to "Hidden Meta Files" in the editor settings and then signed up for a Collab trial and now Unity is constantly asking me if I want to switch to Visible meta files. I click on "No Thanks" (why is that even an option if it's required?) and it works fine, until the requester pops up again.

Does Collab not work with hidden meta files?

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @JohnnyFactor! Collab should be changing your meta files setting to "Visible Meta Files" once it's enabled but for some reason it's being a little too polite about it. Collab needs Unity's meta files to stay visible to ensure that diff tools can see them when resolving merge conflicts as well as to help avoid confusion and lost references in case users decide to move assets outside of Unity. We'll file a bug around this setting not being enforced when switching over from VCS. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

3. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

OK, good to know. My description above is not entirely accurate, and I encountered another bug while switching.

When I switched to Collab, I didn't change the version control mode from Plastic. I just went to the Collab button and enabled and synced it. That process left the Plastic setting intact but grayed it out so I couldn't change it. Plastic then proceeded to flood the console with memory errors, sync errors, etc.

I had to disable Collab, switch the version control to something else, then re-enable Collab. The Plastic errors went away but then Collab refused to sync due to a network error of some sort. Restarting Unity fixed it and it seems to be working fine now.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  4. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

Sorry to bring this back up, but I still have over 7,000 meta files hidden and it seems to be random which ones. Is there an elegant way to set these to visible without disabling Collab?

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @JohnnyFactor! I'm afraid you'll need to disable Collab for roughly 5-10 minutes to give you the time to enable Visible Meta Files. You can do that by opening the Services Window, open the Collaborate tab, then toggle off Collab. This will let you change the meta file setting in the Settings/Editor window. Once Unity finishes making all meta files visible again then toggle Collab back on and you will be good to go.

6. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

This didn't work and while troubleshooting, discovered a few things.

- Switching to 'hidden meta files' changes all meta files to hidden within seconds.
    - Switching to 'visible meta files' changes about 15% (950) of the meta files to visible, and then stops. Going on 7 hours now and still no further progress.
    - Adding new files creates properly visible meta files.

EDIT: Completely forgot to mention this is on a mac, OS X 10.13.6. iMac with APFS SSD.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm sorry that your meta files are taking so long to become visible. That is definitely not by design. Could you submit a bug report please so that it can be investigated further? This sounds like an issue on the Editor side.

8. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

Submitted, case 1082410.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  9. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

2 years later? Still having this issue.