Search Unity

[BUG][CASE 1204727] Generate warning/error when no runtime data are used for a project

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by aurelien-morel-ubiant, Dec 11, 2019.

1. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Hello @unity_bill @DavidUnity3d

I found an issue (for a while now and I was too lazy to report it (shame on me) but :

The addressables package always throw error and warning when we try to initialize it with our distant catalog for our project.
    We have one project to build all our assets used by our 3 apps.

But now when we try to initialize the addressables in a project there is one warning and one error throw on Initialize even if the initialization is ok.
    We can be sure the initialization is ok because we can reach and display the assets after those messages.

Is it something that you already know ? Or maybe there is something different in the package that we missed to avoid this ?

I can bring you some informations :

With Addressables 1.2.4 :
    There was only the warning.

With Addressables 1.3.3 :
    The 2 messages (as 1.4.0) are there with another error before them
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Exception encountered in operation Resource<ResourceManagerRuntimeData>(settings.json): Unknown error in AsyncOperation
    This error is present in Editor & in Runtime.

With Addressables 1.3.8 :
    We only have the 2 messages (as 1.4.0) in Editor but 3 in Runtime with the same error than 1.3.3 just above.

With Addressables 1.4.0 :
    Same behaviour than 1.3.8

Thanks !

Aurelien.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hmm... I was unaware of an error getting thrown like that. Thank you for filing a case with Unity, we'll be sure to look into it.

3. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

@DavidUnity3d I get an answer from your QA team which say : "By Design"

How an error like this could be thrown "by design" ? Why is it forbidden to generate a project with Addressables package integrated but without settings / addressables package in it ?

The current solution from your QA to remove this error is to generate at least one addressables in our project. So yes it's a possibility but that mean we will need to generate an "empty" one just to remove a case like this ?

From what I read one the Addressables since the beginning, there is some people that would do some things like we do. Cause it's really convenient when you have multiple projects that share some resources to externalize those resources and build them in a separated project.

By doing it like this, we don't need to generate any addressables in each project but only in our "addressables generator project" and so this error will show up :/

4. chanon81

chanon81

I agree, how can this be "By Design"?

5. mcallet

mcallet

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020