Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Bug? All inspector references in a scene wiped upon downloading cloud changes

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Nerdin8or, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Nerdin8or

Nerdin8or

Here is what happens (granted, not every time, but often enough that we're pulling our hair out):

User A: Makes some public GameObject variables, then drags in references in the Unity inspector. Saves the changes and uploads to Collab.

User B: Syncs with no problems.

User C: Makes changes in another scene to unrelated objects. Pushes changes.

User B: Syncs again. Now every single reference in the inspector in the scene A and B were working on is wiped clean. User C's changes had nothing to do with that scene, but now every reference is gone.

This has happened multiple times with some variations--for instance, sometimes our collection of Scriptable Objects suddenly were not only wiped clean of data, but there were no longer any data fields. We had to delete all the scriptable objects and replace them with new ones.

Is this a bug with Unity Collab?

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Nerdin8or! I'm so sorry to hear that you lost some of your changes and I'd like to find out what happened so that it doesn't happen again. Which version of Unity was your team using? Do you recall if Collab said that everything was fully synced for User B after syncing both User A's and then again after getting User C's changes? If Collab said that they were synced, then did User B try making a small change and then going to the Collab History window to Restore to the last commit to see if that brought back the references?

3. Nerdin8or

Nerdin8or

Hey there.

We are using 2018.3.5f1 Personal. Collab said everything was synced each time. We were able to get the references back for User B after a lot of trial and error...it seems like restarting Unity one to three times will bring them back? We're still not sure why. One of the times, he did have to revert back to his last commit and try again before we could get it to work.

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for your additional info and I'm glad to hear that you were able to get those changes back! I'd like to investigate what the reason for this issue was. Would you be ok with sharing either your entire or part of your project with us so that we could use it for testing? It would really help us to make sure that we are debugging the same scenarios that your team is constantly running into. You can DM me later with your response if you're interested.