Search Unity

[BUG] AddListener does not work

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Wattosan, May 30, 2017.

1. Wattosan

Wattosan

Using Unity version 5.5.2f1.

Code (CSharp):
    1. GameObject go = Instantiate(mapEntryObject, MapGrid, false);
    2. Button button = go.GetComponent<Button>();
    3. button.onClick.AddListener(DisableActivePanel);
    4. Debug.Log("added the listener");
    I am instantiating two objects at runtime (this is code in a for loop). After this I get the button and add the listener. The Debug.Log gets called, which means this code actually runs and no errors are encountered. However, when I look at the instantiated objects in the scene, the button does not have any OnClick() events added to it.

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

This is not a bug. The ones shown in the editor are persistent listeners(not added via script). If you want to add a persistent listener by script this can be done using the Editor api(wont work in a build). This is used for setting up event listeners so that they can be serialised in the scene, not for runtime use.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Events.UnityEventTools.AddPersistentListener.html

3. Wattosan

Wattosan

Thank you! You're correct that it works. Why doesn't the persistent listener work in a build?

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Persistent listeners are stored in the scene. They persist between scene reloads or play/stop a scene in the editor. You can't make persistent changes to a scene in a build, so the option is Editor only. It would be nice to see the non persistent listeners for an event though, perhaps in the future.

5. n7pankake

n7pankake

And how we can click objects then ?

6. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

pmain8 likes this.