Search Unity

Feedback [Bug] [Needs to be adressed] Access denied

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Deleted User, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's the second day in a row that I get "Access Denied" when I try and log in. I also got it after logging in and trying to enter the General Discussion forums. It took me at least ten times reloading the page until I got through.

Capture d’écran_2021-11-03_07-32-10.jpg

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

@LeonhardP Sorry that I bother you, your name is the first that comes to mind right now. Who could I tag when I have similar problems with the site anyway?

Could you forward this to someone that can help please? It took me five minutes to login this morning... Thank you! :)

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

No problems logging in today; you guys did something? Thanks if you did! :)

4. Mortalanimal

Mortalanimal

this keeps happening to me too, I have to keep purging all my cache.. literally everyday

5. Mortalanimal

Mortalanimal

This is happening on forum and on asset store.. specially when it comes to anything that requires me to log in, the log in page is what causes it most of the time

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

It happened to me yesterday too; I had to log in first on the community page, then navigate to the forums page and there log in again. Quite the bother but I was happy to be able to log in. :)

7. Mortalanimal

Mortalanimal

mark this thread as a bug report

8. kdgalla

kdgalla

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

The login page is bugged? This doesn't happen after I visit some page on the forums, it happens only on logging in. I'm not logged out, I just cannot log in because of "access denied".

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

A new one, that one is a first:

Capture d’écran_2021-12-10_11-52-48.jpg

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm having this "access denied" thing every day now. I need to wait several minutes before getting the login window.

12. SimRuJ

SimRuJ

I just got the "Access denied" error too (never had it before): It keeps popping up randomly while writing text for a new thread but also when I want to see the preview or create it:
    I cleared my browser's cache (latest Firefox) and when I clicked "preview", it worked once but shortly after I added uploaded pictures back to the post (as a thumbnail), the error popped up again and I can't even "preview" the thread anymore. I already tried deleting and re-uploading the images but no luck.
    Edit: Removing the thumbnails from the post gets rid of the error message - at least for the "preview" button. Full images seem to be fine.
    Edit 2: Found a work-around: Add the full images, then edit the post and replace
    [ATTACH=full]
    with
    [ATTACH=thumbnail]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  13. orionsyndrome

orionsyndrome

I have the very same issue as explained by @SimRuJ on a thread that worked just fine. It never happened to me before. It crashed at some point when it tried to save the draft (I know this because it was capable of restoring the older version as soon as I revisited the thread), then kept crashing constantly without letting me to preview or post. Other features work as expected.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Attached Files:

15. orionsyndrome

orionsyndrome

One VERY interesting detail regarding this was that I was able to work around this issue, if only I would remove () whenever I would type OnDrawGizmos inside code block. While I cannot claim this was 100% the *cause* of the bug (it happened in other cases as well), I can claim that this was 100% the most reliable solution if I had OnDrawGizmos in code. I know this because I would cut and paste different parts of the post, until it would let me preview, and this would narrow the issue down. Omitting () from OnDrawGizmos has worked every single time, and that's how I managed to finish what I was doing.

This made me think that this issue is some kind of filter introduced to fight bots or something similar. Maybe some sort of rogue regexp or something. Maybe this is a good lead for whoever needs to sort this out. Also the error would popup (on its own) very soon after the "cause" is introduced, probably because forum regularly tries to save a draft. After a couple of posts, I could almost tell which parts of the code introduced it, and this has also helped me to narrow it down.

The thread I'm referring to is here. OnDrawGizmos is a regular joke in nearly every post of mine. I find this correlation really weird.

It's worth noting that today I'm not having any issues whatsoever.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

I didn't write any code in my previous post or the thread I created.

17. orionsyndrome

orionsyndrome

I still have the issues btw. I can sometimes avoid them by insta-posting (without going into the 'more options' or 'preview').

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

I reported this thread in order to get someone's attention because it doesn't feel like anybody is doing something about this problem...

19. SimRuJ

SimRuJ

I didn't write any code in the post that was affected but for me including images as a thumbnail was the problem.

Did you try to add thumbnails of your uploaded images to the post? That's what caused the problem for me.

20. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hey folks,

Apologies for the delay in replying. I wasn't around yesterday and came back to see this report and some members of staff DM me about it also.

I've instructed our web team to look into the issue - I'll provide updates once I have any. Apologies for the inconvenience this is causing.

orionsyndrome likes this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

I did right when I reported the thread.
    Thanks for taking care of the issue, fast. :)

22. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Yeah, reports are golden because it's the first thing I get to in the work day. Feel free to ping me too if there's something you need me to see. I try to scour everywhere but it's a bit difficult at how much content is posted here these days :)

Deleted User likes this.
  23. UlfvonEschlauer

UlfvonEschlauer

I am having the issue as well right now. It won't even let me preview a thread I was about to create and the automatic draft - save seems to throw the same error message as well. Not sure if that still is of any importance, since the issue seems to be known now.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

@UnityMaru "Access denied" again on login in right now...

25. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Just to update, the webteam found out the issue and are working with our vendors to resolve. Some users have found brute forcing (trying over and over again) eventually works, which is the only workaround i can advise until it's fully resolved.

Deleted User likes this.
  26. UlfvonEschlauer

UlfvonEschlauer

Ugh, lets hope it is not too many users doing that at the same time...

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

I was denied access this morning again, after few days where it didn't happen. Brute force is what I use anyway other wise I wouldn't be able to access the forums. Is there a way I could contact anyone at Unity if I cannot log in at all? An email address?
    Note: the "access denied" pop up window just showed up while I was scrolling down this page to make sure there is no "Contact" link there... And again while I was writing this...

28. yosefstudios

yosefstudios

Oh...so this issue started last year? Well good to know something is already being done.
    I guess I'll keep trying until the page works again, for now.

29. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Update: Still not forgotten about - just taking a little while to get resolved.

30. andywatts

andywatts

Failing to create thread in dots forum. No amount of brute force is helping.

So frustrating. Was able to create a thread, but it used an early draft and can't now edit.

You don't have permission to access "http://forum.unity.com/posts/7947784/save-inline" on this server.
    Reference #18.ba743217.1646698188.320e7a​

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  31. BTStone

BTStone

Yep, this happens on my end too. Cant create a thread and cant preview a thread I am about to create.
    No matter which browser I use (if that makes a difference anyway)

32. BTStone

BTStone

Little Update: I could create multiple threads as of now. Not saying it's fixed for sure, but at least an improvement ;)

33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hey, yeah anyone still suffering this - just keep retrying until it lets you through. Hopefully it is / soon resolved properly by Unity's partners.

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah... Are you sure they are doing anything? I just got access denied again on login... :mad:

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You have to repeat it a few times and it'll wiggle through. I know it sounds like hitting the side of the TV but that is exactly Unity's admin advice until their partners sort it out.

orionsyndrome likes this.
  36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Which will never happen I guess.

37. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

I was told that we did deploy a fix but i'm concerned you're still getting an error...

Could you take a screenshot of the error or provide me the reference number at the bottom of the error so I can flag internally?

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

You are aware that this number changes each time I reload the page and get the access denied; if I try ten times, I'll get ten different numbers. :)

39. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Yeah, just one will do - that reference number helps the team look at the logs to see the cause.

Deleted User likes this.
  40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Here we go!

Reference #18.1cbed717.1648018909.1d4aec3e

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

And again:

Reference #18.66221002.1648796267.11b009c6

42. Deleted User

Deleted User

And again:

Reference #18.1cbed717.1649050451.5dc0f485

Does anyone even pay attention?

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

And again!

Reference #18.6e221002.1649223779.8af3dc1b

Okay, I give up, this thing will never be fixed.

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

And again ...

Reference #18.6e221002.1650261888.614eea0f

Is anybody doing anything about that?

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

And again!

Reference #18.9be24817.1650519572.deec51a9

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

And again...

Reference #18.3cbed717.1650866780.d18268e

47. Deleted User

Deleted User

And again:

Capture d’écran_2022-04-26_19-08-47.jpg

And again: Reference #18.977b1060.1650992993.27a81216

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

And again...

Reference #18.dfe0117.1651123839.9b6e254

49. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Can you please confirm what browser you are using with version number if possible? You seem to be the only user getting this error still as I've not heard from anyone else encountering this since it was resolved a while back.

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

I found a workaround if anyone still face it .. (like I do)

Workaround:
    1. Turn on a VPN and access the Forums.
    2. Roam it a bit, stay for a few minutes.
    3. Close entire browser, then turn off VPN.
    4. Access the Forums normally (without VPN).
    5. The problem should be gone.

- Keep in mind: Once you clear browser's history, cache etc, it may reoccur, by then, you have to repeat the workaround. See if this works for you!