Search Unity

Bug: 4GB limit to Textures in standalone build

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by ShilohGames, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

I just found out reading karl_jones' answer! Thanks for the reply, karl_jones! That's great news!

Crossway likes this.
  2. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello We are experiencing error of upload_2022-12-22_12-55-47.png

But only when using LZ4 compression of build. when compression in none there is no problem, it seems like unity is dividing res files better when there is no build compression. Could unity team help about it? Should we ignore that error if it happens when it only happens when using LZ4 compression? Is then building with default compression safe if there is no bugs (I removed library folder and reimported project it didn't helped) unity 2019.4.32

Here is screenshot after build of default compression as you see there is no file bigger than 4 gb as it is divided to all our scenes.
    upload_2022-12-22_13-2-19.png

Here is screenshot with LZ4 compression, and here is file that have 3.5GB but its not res file.
    I understand limitation, but there is any official communicate from unity about it.

upload_2022-12-22_13-1-54.png

Zergling103 likes this.
  3. Zergling103

Zergling103

I'm struggling to understand how backwards compatibility is a problem. This issue only occurs in builds, and content generated via builds is largely disposable. (It gets regenerated when absent.)
    At the very least, this should be an option in player settings.

While backwards compatability is great and all, it should never come at the expense of being able to compete with other modern game engines, advancing the technology or solving significant problems.
    New projects, whereby backwards compatability shouldn't be a problem anyway, shouldn't be held back by legacy baggage.
    In short, to heck with backwards compatability.

Rickmc3280 likes this.
  4. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

I feel that companies as large as Unity have to help customers that are paying them or have paid them in the past and that is why they do it how they do it, but in terms of staying current... yeah. I cannot tell you the number of times I've ran into issues with 32bit indexes when I needed 64, or needed low level access for performance that required 64 bit index and I was not able to do so and the workaround was extensive. What is the number now? Arent 80% of devices 64 bit and not 32 bit? People who dont utilize their hardware should not determine the requirements and create the bottleneck for the future tbh.

Jakub_Machowski and gghitman69 like this.