Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

BUG: 2017.2.0p3 - Breaks Occlusion Culling

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Xander-Davis, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Just updated to 2017.2.0p3. Broke Occlusion Culling. Rolling back...

2. jo82

jo82

Same here.

Some objects disappear even though they are on the same layer as some other objects that are clearly visible.

Everything is fine on a windows build but it still a pain to work in the editor.

Patch 2017.2.0p3 is a let down for me.

3. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filed a bug report?

4. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Does your bug reporting system require I have the version of the engine installed upon which the bug exists? Can I just tell you right here, make you aware as I already did, and you can handle it from here?

5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

No we need a bug report filed with the version and an example project. https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting
    This is the best way to replicate the problem you have. Otherwise there is no gurantee that we can find any problems or that if the problem we do find is the same one you have.

6. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

It's ridiculous that I'd have to send you my project (which is under confidentiality that Unity does not have a right to) or create a brand new example project to fix a problem Unity created. This has already wasted enough of our time and disrupted our production enough without Unity actively requiring it be disrupted further to do your job and identify issues you introduce into your engine as 'improvements'.

It's very frustrating that while Unity is doing things like Cinemachine, making sure it has a Merch store, and replacing the simple Unity Jobs forum with a convoluted LinkedIn clone, the most absolute basic of things like Occlusion Culling break with a patch.

Please look into this without requiring your users fill out the proper TPS Reports and submit their entire private intellectual property over the network. Also please test your own game engine before issuing patches that make it worse. This happens all the time.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Recluse likes this.
  7. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Some additional info: developing on Mac OS X High Sierra for tvOS (latest). Occlusion Culling is broken in both editor and build. Even after a rebake.

8. Recluse

Recluse

Just updated to 2017.2.0p3.

Line Renderer, which is NOT set to be occluded, NOT set to dynamic occludee - vanishes, when occlusion culling is turned on.

It's not flagged as static, not marked for occlusion, and it just vanishes completely, the moment I switch on occlusion.

I updated from 5.6 to 2017.1.0p3, because the console was spamming me with errors related to particle systems and rigidbodies. Then I updated to 2017.2.0p3, because the update to 2017.1.0p3 broke the 'Bypass Reverb Zones' toggle on AudioComponent.

Why is Unity incapable of releasing an update, without breaking stuff that worked fine in previous versions?

Xander-Davis likes this.
  9. Recluse

Recluse

Occlusion in 2017.2.0p3 seems to break component enabling - when the linerenderer is enabled in script it does not appear in camera view, only in scene view. Also when linerenderer gameobject is activated/deactivated.

Short story - I can't use Occlusion culling in my project anymore, which as you can imagine, is great in a scene with a 1km square environment.

Really tired of just this: Every time I update Unity, something that has worked perfectly for ages, stops working. I mean, 'bypass reverb zones' - it's an on/off toggle for heaven's sake - how can you screw that up????

Xander-Davis likes this.
  10. Recluse

Recluse

... this is getting worse the more I dig. With occlusion on, layers which are not set to render at all are showing up in the camera view. I made a new 'hidden' layer, put an object in it, and it's still visible, even though it's not ticked in any camera's culling mask. Again, everything works fine, the moment you turn off occlusion. I think occlusion in 2017.2.0p3 is doing some very odd and unhelpful things. Please look into this - I can't send Unity my 2GB project right now - I'm already working 12 hour days to hit a milestone.

Xander-Davis likes this.
  11. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

We are investigating this issue.

If possible it would be really helpful to just give some basic details on your project setup:
    Perhaps just a screenshot (in private message if you like) of things like:

* occlusion culling setup
    * layer visibility setup
    * camera setup
    * objects setup : what type of objects are they? do they have dynamic occludee ticked?

Are we talking about visibility problems in the Editor in the Scene View? or the Game View? or in the standalone player?

The different combinations are very large and it would really help to narrow down the tests if we can have more context.

Xander-Davis and karl_jones like this.
  12. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

For me in a Mac OS X environment developing for tvOS, the problem was in all (editor, playback, and build).

Steps to Repro:
    1) Download 2017.2.0p3
    2) Install 2017.2.0p3
    3) Occlusion Culling breaks (even with an additional rebake)
    4) Revert project to 2017.2.0p2.

Everything worked correctly before up to p2. With p3 it suddenly doesn't.

Because I've rolled back and am racing to meet a deadline to ship, I'm pressed for time to get you a screenshot. It was blatantly unshippable, if that helps the imagination. ;) Some objects that you would be looking directly at would disappear while others through floors and walls would appear through them from afar as if in the room.

Thank you for investigating this!

13. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

We already have a fix for this issue and we are working to backport it to 17.2 as a patch asap. I apologize for the incovenience. We have a good automated test coverage but this issue was not caught by our tests.

Thanks for reporting it. I'll keep you updated.

Recluse, moco2k and karl_jones like this.
  14. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

Just to update more. We have included the reproduction case into our testing suite now. We have test cases for Umbra occlusion culling already but we didn't have a case covering this precise situation.

Next year we have time planned to increase and improve our automated test coverage in the graphics area and especially on the occlusion culling system.

Peter77 and phil_lira like this.
  15. Recluse

Recluse

Thanks for the quick response. Look forward to the patch.

16. kalineh

kalineh

Which version was this introduced? Is any of the 2017.3b branch usable? (trying to update from 5.5~ and find latest working occlusion culling version)

17. storylineteam

storylineteam

Same here with 2017.2.0p3.

18. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

@kalineh The issue reported here was introduced in 17.3b8 and (and backported to 17.2p3).
    2017.3 release is just around the corner if you can wait a few days with the upgrade. For the 17.2 branchline we're pushing to get the fix on p4.

I'll keep you all updated.

karl_jones likes this.
  19. kalineh

kalineh

Thanks for letting us know, will keep an eye out for patch notes and test it out!

20. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Patch releases from Unity only have their specific fixes tested, and a relatively small suite of general tests (what some companies would call "smoke tests"). A full regression suite of tests is not run on patch releases. That is why breakages in areas not specifically thought by QA to be related to new fixes can slip by, because they are simply not tested.

If Unity QA did a full regression run on patch releases, you'd hear even more complaining on the forums about how Unity takes so long to fix important problems.

Diki_Thomas and karl_jones like this.
  21. kalineh

kalineh

Confirmed still exists on 2017.2.p4.

22. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Fortunately this issue was not present when upgrading to 2017.2.0p4 for me with my tvOS project on macOS High Sierra. Glad it seems resolved now. Thanks!

phil_lira likes this.