Search Unity

Bug (1223178) Light on a particle system produces errors and flickering

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by dgoyette, Feb 26, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

Basically, if a particle system uses the Lights module, it will result in weird flickering, and tons of error log spam complaining: "Converting invalid MinMaxAABB error"

From what I can tell, this isn't related to the "known issue" in 2019.3 where a light in a particle system results in a memory leak and crash. Memory appears stable when using a light in a particle system under HDRP, so I assume this is something else.

Bordeaux_Fox likes this.
  2. dgoyette

dgoyette

QA replied and told me that this issue is the same as 1051422:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...en-a-particle-system-with-lights-is-inspected

I'm not sure how that can really be the case, since this was working in 2019.1 and 2019.2, and appears to be a regression in 2019.3. This is especially annoying, because an unrelated but in HDRP 6.x (not fixed until HDRP 6.9.2) prevented the use of particle lights in HDRP as well, and that took several months for a fix to be released. This new issue isn't the same error. But I wasn't able to update to 2019.2 for months due to one particle system light issue, and I'm now unable to update to 2019.3 due to another particle system light issue....

Is there any way to hope this issue could get more attention?

Bordeaux_Fox likes this.
  3. dgoyette

dgoyette

QA replied again, and confirmed that they believe this is all one bug, going back to 2018.1, which is still the case in all versions of Unity, depending on a few other conditions. Again, the bug is tracked here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...en-a-particle-system-with-lights-is-inspected

Is there any way to know when this might be looked at? This is a pretty frustrating issue that essentially means it's not possible to use the Lights module of a particle system. It seems pretty bizarre that this bug has endured as long as it has.

It's not clear to me whether the HDRP equivalent is definitely the same issue, or whether it should be looked at independently.