Search Unity

[BUG] [0.4.8-preview] Build without Static Content assets produces no addressables_content_state.bin

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by ChronosWS, Dec 18, 2018.

1. ChronosWS

ChronosWS

I have two classes of resources in my game (currently) - standard resources (which aren't yet using addressables) and modded resources (which are produced separately). I was surprised to find that if I included no resources in a group marked as "Static Content" then no addressables_content_state.bin file is produced, preventing me from producing any mod packages. As soon as I add a resource to that group, then an addressables_content_state.bin file is produced.

Repro:
    1. Create a project with two Addressables groups (besides the "Built In Data" group)
    2. Mark one group as "Static Content". Do not add resources to it.
    2. Place resources in the second group.
    3. Build

Expected:
    Build output contains addressables_content_state.bin

Actual:
    Build output does not contain addressables_content_state.bin

Workaround:
    Place a dummy resource in the group marked "Static Content"

2. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

Did you manage to update assets without a new build? I get one addressables_content_state.bin under Assets\AddressableAssetsData however, when I use that to prepare and built for update and upload the result to our hoster and restart the build I don't get any update, it loads the old bundles and adressables.

3. ChronosWS

ChronosWS

Not quite yet. I need to clean up my test project to get rid of the "test" assets which are part of my mod pack so I can see it produce a catalog with the differences. That's a project for tomorrow :)

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  4. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

Please post here if you successfully managed to get a Content Update working. Still struggling with it and not sure if it is either because of bugs/preview or simply that I am doing something wrong.

ChronosWS likes this.
  5. unity_bill

unity_bill

1. Have you verified that it does indeed create new bundles and that you have put those on the correct server?
    2. have you verified that the content catalog file created is different after the update build, and that it too is on the server?

6. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@unity_bill
    1. A new build will load the new bundles, therefore I know that server and bundles are correct.
    2. Yes it produces catalog_<date>.json catalog files and they are uploaded as well (also the new build would not load them otherwise, would it?)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018