Search Unity

Bug Brush Mask Filter Bug when painting Textures

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Rowlan, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I tried to paint snow on top of the mountain. However the brush seemed to paint everywhere except when the Concavity Strength wasn't 1. Or almost 1. Should it paint outside the orange area?

The orange preview part seems to be buggy, maybe that's related?

bm.jpg
    My settings (click to enlarge):

sn.png

2. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Could you share a video? The preview does look like it is not correct. You're on 3.0.1-preview?

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

Yes, 3.0.1-preview. Here's a quick animated gif. I can upload a youtube vid if you prefer. I could also file a bug report, it's just a simple scene:

test.gif

4. Rowlan

Rowlan

By the way, when I lower the Feature Size parameter I kind of get where I want to be, independent of the orange preview brush which seems to be a bug. I also have to modify the Remap Curve of which I have absolutely no idea how it works. And honestly - and that sounds harsh :D - I don't want to read a manual for simply painting snow into the concave parts of mountain.

So the main problem I see: It's super powerful stuff, definitely capable to do what I want, but not user friendly at all. Or rather not intuitive.

5. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

I agree. Hopefully we get some time to tune these/provide a clearer way to modify the output values.

Could you create a bug report? I haven't seen this issue before

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

Done, case id 1289172, case name "Terrain Concavity Issues"

I'm getting there with the settings, but a question in order to understand this: Should it paint only in the orange parts of the brush or outside as well. Now it would paint outside as well, even when there's nothing orange inside the brush:

snow2.gif

wyattt_ likes this.
  7. Rowlan

Rowlan

In addition to that, same version as in the bug report, the strength in Set Height seems to be broken. I'm pressing CTRL here to lower the terrain and I have absolutely no idea what the Concavity Brush Mask Filter would do here. I'd expect it to lower only concave parts then.

Either way, even at a strength of 0.063 I can move entire mountains :) By the way, I had the strength range increased to 10 before and then set it back to 1 in the same session. Maybe that's stored somewhere and now it takes 0.63 from range of 0 to 1? But that's just guesswork, I didn't check the code yet.

strength.gif

8. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Currently it paints in the orange but also sometimes outside it. The threshold for the preview doesn't look to be correct. I plan on fixing that

Rowlan likes this.
  9. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

This is with the SetHeight tool?

10. Rowlan

Rowlan

Ooops, apologies, the "Raise or Lower Terrain" Tool

wyattt_ likes this.
  11. Rowlan

Rowlan

wyattt_ likes this.